A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 4th December 2015, 06:52 PM

Default Bonnet cable

Having just changed a front wheel bearing the car decided to thank me by snapping its bonnet cable.

Happily it was kind enough to let go right where the cable inner is crimped into the ferrule at the handle, so after dropping the trim panel out I was able to get a pair of pliers on the broken end and open the bonnet.

A little googling showed that I didn't like the price even of used cables and inspection showed that the outer was completely ok anyway. Filed away in the garage I found a roll of stainless steel piano wire (can't remember why I bought that!) and also a selection of screw on cable clamps.

One of these clamps was perfect for the job (4.95mm diameter, cable hole 3mm from the head).

Then it was just a matter of pulling the old inner through from the bonnet end and feeding a new length back in and fitting the cable clamp.

At the bonnet end I knocked the centre out of a large pop-rivet, added a washer and the cable grip from a choc-block.

I'll admit this last is a bit rough (this is a free, on-the-hoof repair after all!) and will order up one of these to tidy it up.

http://www.kartpartsuk.com/product.php?id=1632

Could just possibly have re-used the old cable inner by winding the adjuster to the longest position and trimming 10mm off the outer (which already seems a little short) which would probably have won just enough to go through the cable clamp.

Works perfectly. Smoother and easier than before as the old cable had some random kinks in it for some reason.

Wrote it up as it might come in handy for others.

Cheers

Nick
Old 27th February 2016, 10:18 PM

Looks like this will come in handy good job
Old 4th March 2016, 09:55 PM

Is easy to open the hood from below and pulling the cable.....so check if someone try to open your hood.