A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 13th October 2016, 08:36 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireBloke View Post
Brilliant idea re dash cam... Have we any threads on recommendations for models to buy, fitting / wiring in?

Robert
There have been a few discussions I think. A dashcam with 'parking mode' (preferably with an internal battery) is what you would need. Parking mode was discussed briefly in this thread (page 2), in which I mentioned the dashcam I use.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 13th October 2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 14th October 2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
There have been a few discussions I think. A dashcam with 'parking mode' (preferably with an internal battery) is what you would need. Parking mode was discussed briefly in this thread (page 2), in which I mentioned the dashcam I use.
Just ordered one of those - spec looks good, I like the parking mode option.

Insurance claim in motion, lets hope its a swift resolve. I think I am going to have to start parking like an idiot across two bays in order to avoid damage in future
Old 14th October 2016, 12:05 PM

That's crap Lee. Sorry to hear this.

I think I'll also order one having done some reading. The DX20 looks good at £120 from Amazon.

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 14th October 2016, 12:09 PM

Oh Man, I feel for you. I'd beat the **** within an inch of his life for doing that and leaving if i'd caught him.

Hope the CCTV turns up something.

Old 14th October 2016, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry to see this, it's bad enough when you can easily find the person responsible. I bet whoever did it was so oblivious to everything around them that they didn't even realise they had hit your car.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 14th October 2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
I think I'll also order one having done some reading. The DX20 looks good at £120 from Amazon.
£106 from Halfords: http://www.halfords.com/technology/d...o-220-dash-cam

Judging by the impact, I am certain they knew they did it, but its the usual case of people just not respecting other people's property, I really hope that there is CCTV footage so that I am not left footing the bill
Old 14th October 2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Just ordered one of those - spec looks good, I like the parking mode option.

Insurance claim in motion, lets hope its a swift resolve. I think I am going to have to start parking like an idiot across two bays in order to avoid damage in future
I'd recommend getting one or two 64GB microSD cards to go with it. In HD mode, the supplied card (16GB I think) soon gets full. A 64GB card will hold a good few hours of recordings. I bought these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWXUKEY/

Recording quality is certainly very good though. As an example, here's me leaving Mackie in Glasgow last week:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pao9x3qsvs...N0215.MP4?dl=1

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 15th October 2016, 02:59 PM

I have also suffered damage done by invisible individuals, we both really feel for you.

Nice clear recording, and I also use 64GB SD cards in my Roadhawk Dashcam.
Mine does not have the enclosed battery so cannot do the "parked" monitoring. Looks like I'll have to save some more pennies for an upgrade.

As an aside I notice rainspots on your bonnet Mark. Naughty boy, letting the OCD lads down.
Save</span>

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 15th October 2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 15th October 2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
As an aside I notice rainspots on your bonnet Mark. Naughty boy, letting the OCD lads down.
haha. Can't blame me for that one. That was leaving Mackies. It was spotless when I dropped it off. Actually they did give it a quick wash though and I think the 'rainspots' were in fact over-spray from the other customers cars they were washing in the compound.

Cars Owned:

Old 15th October 2016, 04:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your damage: it's borderline immoral not 'fessing when you've done something like this - and doesn't that count as "leaving the scene of an accident" and therefore actionable on that basis?

I know how you feel though - I've had my car (the Tesla, not the S8, thank God...) driven into three times in the year I've had it . In each case I was parked up and either in or next to the car, and with witnesses, so luckily no question of who's fault it was, but it's still traumatic and a ball ache to rectify.

Hopefully you'll get a result soon...