Brian, we ALL think you are stark raving mad
wibble wibble.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mainImage.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	15209  

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 7th December 2016, 08:18 AM

Christ , I thought it was just me , parked outside asdas last night , right opposite the door , looked back as I walked away , as you do , damm its sqint and about a foot over the line at the front , went back and moved it a bit still not right , bollocks ,so I got back in and moved it further away
that drone idea seems a goodun though , launch it out the sun roof and use it to get it parked square

anyone else find it difficult to park it square to a parking space ?

mike

Last edited by Mikee; 7th December 2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 7th December 2016, 09:34 AM

A few excellent examples of how every A8 owner should park in the Great British (minuscule) parking bay
EDIT. No A8s were used for this demonstration

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1267108818659390608.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	15210   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-parked-255194.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	15211   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-parking-255196.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	15212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad+Parking+Audi1364991963.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	15213  

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 7th December 2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee View Post

mike
Yes! The D2 is the only car with which I have this problem too - A4, A6, TT all go in spaces nice and square. Not the D2 - its always crooked for some reason. My colleagues think I'm nuts because I'll get out, look at how its in the space then get back in and move it about until its right

It must be something to do with how the mirrors interact with the body lines. If I have enough room I'll open the door and try and line up with the sill trim instead which is straight-ish.
Old 7th December 2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
Christ , I thought it was just me , parked outside asdas last night , right opposite the door , looked back as I walked away , as you do , damm its sqint and about a foot over the line at the front , went back and moved it a bit still not right , bollocks ,so I got back in and moved it further away
that drone idea seems a goodun though , launch it out the sun roof and use it to get it parked square

mike
Not quite but I do curb my wheels every now and then when parellel parking. Never known a car like it.

I do find the lines in the rear camera help when parking in a bay.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!

Last edited by Audidothat; 7th December 2016 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Addition comment.
Old 7th December 2016, 02:07 PM

The mirror tilt in reverse function is quite helpful in getting it straight i find. I think that because its long and wide, the results of being a little bit squint are just more pronounced and makes it more exposed.
Old 7th December 2016, 04:01 PM

Feel for you, we are always aware of the "hit & run" idjits. Bloodie morons out there, at least not as bad as Paris. They do not park there, they abandon them.
SWMBO uses the far back corner in ASDA car park.
Personally I use the bus and block of four spaces.
By the way, stay out of York this Saturday, I'm driving a twelve metre coach there for the Xmas Market. SWMBO is going with me so no speed limits will be broken!!!!!!!

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 8th December 2016, 12:02 PM

I think you should cut your losses and give up Lee. Drive it down to my house, pop the keys through my letter box and walk away! I shall take on all of that stress and pressure of ownership for you! It's the sensible thing to do .

I do understand though sir! I always used to park the D2 is sensible locations, biggest bays and most open areas. I came back to the car one evening, I parked in a covered garage at a shopping area (Weston Favel for you locals) and the builders working on an area were pressure washing the ceiling to clean the old concrete of. Chunks of concrete and dust everywhere. Fortunately not a mark on my car, but the sheer stupidity was astounding!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 8th December 2016, 05:31 PM

Wow, I knew Weston Favel was bad but didn't realise it was that bad with the renovations, that's just pure stupidity, I wonder what their public liability insurance is like?

Your S3 is quite nice, I like the interior in it, much better than I expected but it wasn't enough to tempt me to part with the D3, although I've started browsing auto trader and pistonheads a lot lately looking at smaller cars, wife thinks I'll regret it if I do jump ship, but since getting the car back all I've done is stress about the car, affects my sleep as well, surely that's not a good thing, how the hell do people with lambos and other exotica cope? The malicious envy must be a high factor on those