A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 31st January 2019, 09:26 PM

Default Weather, (or wether I should go or not)

Actually it is too late.
I left home at 10:08 this morning, had a 45 minute break at Frankley services (first time without Gwen made it a bit sad) and was in Chepstow for13:27. Probably the best run ever. Extremely light traffic, most of the Cheshire M6 roadworks cleared and even the M5 bridgeworks managed with ease. Brilliant. Staying overnight in Chepstow.
Now the reason. I'm attending a funeral in Warminster tomorrow, after which I will drive home.
According to the weather man there is a little bit of snow on the way.
Am I daft even attempting this?
Oh heck, I'm in an 8, should be OK, shouldn't it?

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 31st January 2019, 10:39 PM

Have you got winter tyres on?

4" down here and still snowing. Of course the Allroad is broken and doesn't have winter tyres anyway. Looks like I'll be staying in tomorrow and playing with the printer!
Old 31st January 2019, 11:17 PM

We've only got about an inch here but it's that really noisy, squeaky snow that is wonderful to walk on!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st February 2019, 07:48 AM

Chepstow is an inch.
I'll be travelling Eastwards on the M4 to Junction 17 then south on the A350.
Leaving here about 10:00.
Due in Warminster for 12:00.

If it wasn't for the funeral I could be tempted to a playday with MJ's printer.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 1st February 2019, 09:50 AM

Safe journey Ray, it carried on snowing here overnight and we're up to 4" now.

From the numbers of kids trooping down the road with sledges I guess the schools are closed, though as it's only about zero the main roads are presumably all fine.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st February 2019, 12:47 PM

Not too far from you Ray, i'm currently in Marlborough and the snow is about 10-15 cm deep and doesn't look like stopping.

I think the A346 north out of Marlborough toward M4/Swindon has been closed.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 1st February 2019, 01:22 PM

Its melting quite quickly here now, and the snow that was forecast for this afternoon isn't happening. I should be able to get out of the village in a couple of hours, which is good because I've run out of chocolate
Old 1st February 2019, 10:34 PM

Just over an inch in Chepstow this morning so cleared it all off the car and set off at 10:00.
M48 over the bridge, joined M4 and passed over the M5. Within five minutes it was snowing. No problems with the 8, she behaved beautifully (in fact that was the way she behaved all day) Only problem was all the other idiots on the road. Saw a few abandoned cars. If they leave the car how do they get home? What caused them to leave the car behind?
Arrived at the crematorium 90 minutes early so went for a full English in Westbury.
Did the funeral.
Went to Westbury Labour Club for the wake.
Left Westbury about 14:30 and arrived home safe at 18:30 having travelled via Leyland (Leyland added some 40 minutes to the journey).
The whole journey was a pleasure, absolutely opposite what I thought that it might be.