A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 20th February 2013, 07:07 PM

Simple answer, if you don't have one of those 'sucky' machines, then don't do it yourself, use an expert
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 21st February 2013, 09:04 AM

Simple reply, I don't have a 'sucky' machine nor do I intend to do it myself...I plan on asking Inde-Tech in Milton Keynes to do the job for me.

Its just that I wanted to know exactly what the job entails so I can validate their approach and for my own peace of mind!

Dunno what happened as I replied on my iPhone last night but that reply has not appeared?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited by GlynH; 21st February 2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 21st February 2013, 09:29 AM
Director at A8 Parts

Looking back to when I did mine the part numbers are as follows:

ATF Oil G055162A2 - I bought 10 Litres but had about 2.5 left over
Strainer (filter) 09E325429
Sump Gasket 09E321371

Total Bill for that little lot was £375.00

Bear in mind the exhaust centre sections have to be removed to gain access to the sump pan and if these havent been off in a while the scope for damaging them is high as the flexy parts will most likely have corroded to the point of no return when you/the garage start moving them around. These cost around £400.00 per side.

On the plus side you will notice a difference - Compared to other D3's I had driven I thought my gearbox was smooth pre-service but afterwards the changes are almost imperceptable.

2001 TT 8N 1.8T Quattro with a loud exhaust!
2000 A8 D2 3.7Q Non Sport Ming Blue
1999 A8 D2 4.2Q Non Sport Santorin Blue
2002 A6 C5 Allroad 2.5 TDi Silver with Black Leather
2001 A2 1.4 TDi
2006 A6 C6 2.4 Quattro Avant Canyon Red

At Work to Drive:

1997 S8 Pearl White Solar Roof, Electric Heated Rear Seats, Blinds, Bose, Cruise, Headlamp Wash, Ski Hatch
1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6, Air Con, Electric Roof, Leather, Hard Top, Headlight Wash
2008 Fiesta Sportvan x2
2002 Transit 2.4 LWB
2007 VW Crafter Recovery Truck
2013 VW Caddy Highline, DAB, Heated Seats, Touch Screen Stereo, Headlamp Wash and Webasto with Telestart
2010 RS6 Daytona Grey, Twin Pane, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Soft Close and some extra horses.

At Work to Hire:

4x 6 Berth Sunlight Motorhomes
Old 21st February 2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david@a8parts View Post
Bear in mind the exhaust centre sections have to be removed to gain access to the sump pan and if these havent been off in a while the scope for damaging them is high as the flexy parts will most likely have corroded to the point of no return when you/the garage start moving them around. These cost around £400.00 per side.
I've heard this before, but I can say 100% that this was not necessary on my 2000 FL 4.2 QS.

Is this just for the S8?

Glyn, I don't have time to look for the threads right now, but there are 2 or 3 garages known to have the right gear and know what they are doing, personally I'd stick to one of those
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 21st February 2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Is this just for the S8?
Glyn and David both have W12's Sarg
Wake up that man!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:25 PM

Well here's a (sort of) update;

Back in Feb this year I was quoted £333.00 to replace the gearbox oil on the W12.

The same place quoted me £284.78 to replace the gearbox oil in my D2 S8 but that included the oil itself, filter, gasket & sump bolts.

Rang this morning to get it booked on (as MOT has expired...don't ask) and asked them to replace gearbox oil at the same time.

Price has now gone up to £373.96 *OIL ONLY* and I am told I don't need a filter or gasket?

Apparently the W12 takes 10.8l at a cost of £28.33 p/ltr

The cost of oil is one thing but the thing that worries me is that I am told I don't need anything else despite asking that the filter be replaced and by definition the gasket if the sump needs to be dropped to get at it.

Seems strange that on the S8 they allowed for filter, gasket & bolts but tell me there is no filter that can be replaced on the W12?

According to Dave there is indeed a strainer/filter for the box and obviously the gasket to be replaced also...thanks for listing the part numbers Dave!

An exploded parts diagram showing the filter would be great if some kind soul out there has one please?

Is it possible to flush the box by removing oil cooler hose & pumping or dropping the oil, refilling, dropping again & then final refill or just drop & refill? Now that could work out expensive at £28.33 x 21.6l

If not flushed then I'm guessing all of the old oil won't be removed in which case I won't need all 10.8l recommended?

And is the oil fill procedure the same as the D2 ie. fill through the drain plug while monitoring temperature and running it through the gears or whatever the black magic art may be?

All these questions...

Car is booked in for MOT on Thursday so it would be ideal if someone could post a reply fairly quickly if possible please?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited by GlynH; 23rd April 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 01:19 PM

on the copy I have access to it is coming up as -

MECHATRONIC WITH SOFTWARE
OIL SUMP
OIL STRAINER
----6HP26-----

3.7/4.2ltr. GNT,GNU,GQE,
4.0/6.0 ltr. GQF,GVK,GXL,
GUN,GZA,HCA,
HVV,HLM

with the following image -

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325800.png
Views:	703
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	5915  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 25th April 2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the reply AM,

Item 5 on the drawing looks suspiciously like a pan-type filter to me?

Well I emailed them on Tuesday but received no reply and car is in today so I told them not to do the oil change until we can get this resolved.

Wishing now I hadn't paid £373.96 up front for the oil...

-=Glyn=-