A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 6th July 2015, 01:25 PM

Default Electric memory mirrors

Yup - something else that does not work on the silver shed.... Not movement of any kind from either mirror from the controls.

I have established that the smoke has escaped from the memory module - big burnt patch in the middle of the board.

I've also managed to test all 4 mirror motors (finding the pin numbers in the plug is a bit of a mission!) and these all work in both directions and do move the mirrors. I've also checked that the feedback signals from the pots in the mirrors do something. No idea if the ranges are correct but pretty similar side to side.

So I've ordered another module, but I'm still a bit concerned about what killed the last one. Can anyone think of anything else I should check?

The other thing is that the car shows signs of having folding mirrors with an extra position on the mirror selector switch and the mirror fold relay in the passenger footwell box. However, in the drivers mirror at least there doesn't seem be a fold motor. Should the Sport with memory seats/mirror etc always have folding mirrors? Possibly the mirror has been replaced with the wrong one at some point?

Thanks

Nick
Old 6th July 2015, 06:28 PM

My experience is D3 only.
Both my mirrors fold, just upwards, later models fold differently.
My nearside mirror also dips when reverse is engaged.
The switch is four position.
Hope that helps.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 6th July 2015, 06:30 PM

It'l help if you say what your car is. Year & model
Old 7th July 2015, 06:50 AM

It's been posted in the wrong section.

The 8 in question is a PF D2, and yes it should have folding mirrors, back toward the car and not up like the D3. More than likely seized. Will the passenger mirror tip when you reverse? The control knob has to be set to the passenger side.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 7th July 2015, 01:15 PM

Oops.... that's why I couldn't find the thread again..... thanks for moving it!

Yes, early-ish 4.2 Quattro Sport (march '96 reg)

Replacement memory module arrived this morning. Mirrors now work (haven't tested memory or reverse function yet).

Drivers side mirror definitely has no folding function nor wires for it. Possibly the mirror (or even the whole door) has been swapped at some point. This car would appeared to have lived through interesting times. Haven't looked at the passenger side yet - It was up against the garage wall.

Be interesting to see how long they keep working - this car is depressingly good at unfixing itself.........

Nick
Old 7th July 2015, 01:30 PM

I've got a vague feeling I have a spare drivers side PF mirror mechanism from my old S8 with all the functions.
Unless I offloaded it a while back, I'll check if you're interested......
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th July 2015, 04:02 PM

Would be interested, thanks.

Can confirm that all mirror adjustment functions are working, including the reverse tilt on the passenger side. Passenger side doesn't fold either but haven't yet looked to see whether there is a mech there.

Nick