A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 2nd May 2021, 03:31 PM

Might be possible, but very difficult. It might be necessary to go in from the wheel arch. The water pipe which runs along the side of the head has to come off to get the hose out, and thats very tricky with the engine in.

Started stripping the engine today. The knock sensors are so disintegrated that half the plug stayed in the socket.

The exhaust manifold bolts were just rusty stumps so an F125 would not have been fun on this one! I hammered an 11mm socket on to them and just snapped them off since they'll be replaced anyway.

On to the starter motor - the braided cable from the solenoid to the motor is normally covered in silicone sleeve, but this is completely burned off! Mark mentioned that the car once failed to start and emitted some smoke from the driver's side wheel well. I had thought that was the starter junction, but thats still intact so it must have been this cable overheating for some reason

The silicone has just crumbled away - never seen this before

Never seen this before either! I'm guessing this would be why it didn't start on that occasion, and this loose chunk of starter has been rattling about in the bellhousing. This might also explain the rattle on startup

Little bits of the starter in the bellhousing

A fair few chunks knocked out of the flywheel teeth too

There they are stuck to the speed sensor

The bank 2 exhaust manifold did a wee on the floor. The SAI valve on this side was also full of water. This unfortunately suggests a cracked head

Engine on the stand

Noticed this little time-bomb after taking the timing gear off - this pin is quite loose and eventually would have fallen off and in to the timing belt! Really it needs some blue loctite like all the other bolts inside the timing covers

I dropped the sump with the engine the right way up, rather than flipping it over, since I didn't want any of this gunge to drain in to the engine any more than it already had.

Short day today because of the F1 and family stuff. I'll dismantle the rest tomorrow, including the exhaust manifolds and upper sump and then make a start on pressure testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	26302   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	26303   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	26304   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	26305   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	26306   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	26307   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	26308   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	26309   Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	26310   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	26311  

Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	26312   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	26313   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	26314   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	26315  
Old 2nd May 2021, 05:05 PM

blimey trust a car of mine to fail in new and unseen ways
Old 2nd May 2021, 05:12 PM

I'm really not sure if i should feel unlucky.............

or lucky that none of the things you've found so far killed anything
Old 2nd May 2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Just age I think. Its getting to be an increasingly common problem.
Yes, it happens to us all too.....
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Yes, it happens to us all too.....

The swelling around the middle, that's partly Covid related rather than age!

Back to the car though... is there anything in the service history to suggest these problems? I service mine fairly regularly even though I don't do many miles.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 2nd May 2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
I'm really not sure if i should feel unlucky.............

or lucky that none of the things you've found so far killed anything
Every time I look at it, I find it astounding that the broken piece of starter didn't get jammed up in the flywheel and punch a hole through the gearbox casing.

I can't fathom how it happened in the first place, let along how it didn't take anything much larger out with it. Possibly it was dropped when the gearbox was changed, but based on the exhaust manifold bolts that must have been well over a decade ago. Possibly a crack started which very slowly propagated until the day it failed completely?

The water from the exhaust manifold is somewhat less lucky though.
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:42 PM

Is it possible something jammed up making it so hard to start that the starter pulled a huge amount of juice, thus frying the insulation and fracturing the starter motor?
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:45 PM

Are you expecting bearing carnage when the cam covers come off, or does it appear to have been lubricating OK despite the emulsion in the sump?!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:58 PM

You could stall the starter on the gear without putting a fracturing load on the casing though. Even if the bearing in the nose seized and stalled it, that wouldn't break the end off.

I think that day it wouldn't start was when the crack finally let go, the nose broke off, and it twisted the bearing such that the spindle couldn't turn. The stalled starter took enough current to fry the insulation, but when you let off the key it un-jammed itself. Possibly the broken piece fell off at that point and then it was able to start. The bearing does still turn now, although it is slightly distorted.

The starter came out without that piece attached at all - it was just sitting in the gearbox bellhousing, so it fell off through action of the starter at some point. Its pretty hard to tell where anything started though as its been bashed around by the flywheel.
Old 2nd May 2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Are you expecting bearing carnage when the cam covers come off, or does it appear to have been lubricating OK despite the emulsion in the sump?!
Cautiously optimistic the bearings have survived as its only done a couple of hundred miles like this and it still turns over by hand just fine with no unpleasant noises.