A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th May 2021, 11:10 AM
Banned

This is excellent R&D, well in time for my rear subframe refurb .

As far as the suspension gemotery adjustment bolts, we can just use A6 ones correct?

And also is there a list of D2 services you offer, especially the exchange stuff?
Do you do anythig with AC/PS hoses etc?
Old 13th May 2021, 11:23 AM

Yes, the C5 bolt works for the rear tie rod. In theory so should the one for the D3. I haven't checked on the camber bolt actually. I'll get round to that.

I've been doing exchange PS hoses for a while. Not AC hoses though - they're too hard, and don't really fail unless they get trashed when changing the condenser.

I set up an online store during 1st lockdown last year, but never got round to going live with it Boot grommets have been selling steadily on ebay but the fees are too high for the larger stuff.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 13th May 2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 19th May 2021, 04:10 PM

Looking at a parts diagram, it looks like the D2 rear subframe bushings are different forward vs rearward (4D0505145M for the front vs 4D0505145L for the back). Are the D3 bushings the same for the front vs rear of the rear subframe?
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Old 19th May 2021, 05:14 PM

Yes, no idea what the difference is - perhaps the hardness of the rubber, because they are physically identical.

The D3 uses the same bush front and rear.
Old 5th June 2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Parts list:

Diff yoke bush - 4B3599257A, Febi 103 184, Lemforder 26622 01 ***needs machining***
Googling part numbers today, I found that Powerflex makes a urethane version of this as it's shared with B5 and C5.

https://powerflexstore.co.uk/audi/rs...005-pfr3-1132/
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
Old 22nd June 2021, 01:41 AM

Quote:
So I did indeed mill down the rear diff mount yoke 2mm off each side makes it the same size as the D3 yoke

D3 mounts now fit perfectly Happy to do these on exchange with or without bushings if anyone else wants one, since its not really a DIY task.

These are Febi, and as usual you can see where the Audi rings have been ground off post-production. Its actually an A6 part rather than unique to the D3 so easily available for £12 each.
Question here. From what I've read, I can simply use the entire D3 bracket/bushings rather than modifying the D2 bracket to accept the D3 bushings? Is that true?
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
Old 22nd June 2021, 08:10 AM

I was looking at doing this, but no. The geometry of the D3 bracket is different - the diff sits about 15mm lower relative to the outer mounts, with the same on the front diff mount too, so if you used just the rear you'd end up with the diff at a funny angle, and if you used both the diff would sit lower in the car putting the shafts at an angle.

I can't quite see why they did this just from looking at the subframe. Putting it higher would be better for lowered cars, but lower is no help at all, hence why I modified the D2 bracket to take the D3 / C5 bushes.
Old 22nd June 2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I was looking at doing this, but no. The geometry of the D3 bracket is different - the diff sits about 15mm lower relative to the outer mounts, with the same on the front diff mount too, so if you used just the rear you'd end up with the diff at a funny angle, and if you used both the diff would sit lower in the car putting the shafts at an angle.

I can't quite see why they did this just from looking at the subframe. Putting it higher would be better for lowered cars, but lower is no help at all, hence why I modified the D2 bracket to take the D3 / C5 bushes.
Thanks for the info!
1992 Corrado
2001 S8
Old 16th October 2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:

For reference, D3 forward diff bushing on the left, D2 original on the right. This is D3-specific and I couldn't find any aftermarket version, but its only £25 from TPS.

I can't fit this yet as I need to make a new press tool for it.
Would the elongated slot in the bushing on the left cause alignment issues? The D2 on the right having a hole
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 16th October 2021, 06:43 PM

This is the front mounting bush for the diff, so no. The slot in this just allows for manufacturing tolerances in the diff and related gubbins. I think the D2 has a slot in the bracket whereas the D3 has the slot in the bush.