A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 7th July 2021, 11:19 AM

Default Internal mirror wiring for dimming mirror

A while back now I bought an auto-dimming internal mirror but due to various reason I am yet to try and fit it!

I am hoping that I can splice into the mirror loom rather than using the wiring in the car, that way if I or someone else ever wanted to change back it will be simple.

As I have a facelift car with the ambient lighting I was thinking tapping into that would make the most sense as it would then activate with the headlights, what I haven't been able to find is which wires this would be. Does anyone know which these would be?

I came across the picture below from Goran when fitting his dashcam which shows the reading lights circuit. in this post http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11184

This leaves the Green/Cream, Grey and Blue wires to check.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobius install wire lables.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	26688
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Last edited by pete-p; 8th July 2021 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Link to post
Old 7th July 2021, 11:41 AM

Racking my brains a bit on this, I fitted one to my PF S8 which has rather less wiring up there!
The best place I found to wire in was the sunroof circuit, easy to identify from the switches on PF.

That circuit (checked by testing with a multimeter and I'd guess FL is the same) is live with ignition on and goes off after a small delay when ignition is turned off.
It obviously doesn't matter if it's "active" when the headlights are not.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th July 2021, 03:22 PM

This is the thread that I referred to when I fitted mine:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1100

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th July 2021, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I've read almost all there is about the wiring there but was really hoping I could use the feed for the ambient lighting and connect it all in the one harness before fitting it in.

I may dig out my multimeter and see what the blue and grey wires do, perhaps that's where I need to look first. I saw mention of blue with red stripe being illumination so there could be a link there with the plain blue in the mirror harness... probably too simple though!

Old 7th July 2021, 08:41 PM

Didn't we have a thread on this recently where we decided it's possible to do it with four of the six wires on the mirror, just using things that are in there already? If I recall correctly, the only things which aren't there are the reverse signal (to disable the dimming) and the output to the door mirrors (which aren't there anyway).
Old 7th July 2021, 09:18 PM

That might have been me in the sale thread

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15718

I'm sure it's possible, just need to identify which of the three remaining wires to use.

Old 8th July 2021, 10:05 AM

Just to confuse you even more. I knew I'd posted about this before but couldn't remember when and couldn't find it last night. Finally found it:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12806

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th July 2021, 10:16 AM

Thanks Sean. I read your post there and it was very helpful as mine has the same coloured wires as yours.

One thing I see from that and which probably ties in with what Andrew noticed, there is a feed to the dimmer from the interior lights. I wonder if this is to cancel the dimming when the interior lights come on? Could be handy to connect this one up to make it easier when dropping someone off!

Old 8th July 2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
I wonder if this is to cancel the dimming when the interior lights come on?
That's the sort of clever feature that you'd expect on an '8!
Though personally I'd probably avoid using that input unless you're doing a full OEM install - you just never know how the various controllers interact so KISS.

I also note from that thread Sean took power from the sunroof (as I did on my PF) and similarly just found a good earth point.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th July 2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 8th July 2021, 03:00 PM

So I've been studying the wiring diagram for the interior lights and think I have the solution.

The usual plug on the mirror with/without dimming has the pins below:

1. Red - Always live even when ignition off.

2. Grey/Green - Switched live with headlights. Also same colour wire provides power to other lights (e.g. ashtray)

3. Green - Unsure. Some reversible ground from lights? Goran indicates this as being activated by driver's reading light switch but then connected it to the negative for the Dashcam.

4. Grey - Not sure but possibly related to headlights or perhaps the other reading light, only other grey I can see is between the headlight switch and the relay in the footwell.

5. Blue - Ground. Another blue on the tiptronic switch is connected to ground (brown) so seems logical this does too.

So I found a 9v battery and connected the positive to pin 2 and negative to pin 5 and the red ambient lights switched on. I think this is where I need to connect pins 2 and 1 from the dimming circuit.

Not sure if I can connect pin 3 from the mirror (linked to reading light switching) to pin 6 of the dimming (normally connected to interior front and reading lights) any thoughts?!

Last edited by pete-p; 9th July 2021 at 10:49 AM.