A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 19th January 2014, 10:06 AM

Default Wobbly acceleration on FL A8L D2

Morning all.

Noticed a fair amount of wobble coming from the front nearside on acceleration this morning on the way to work. It's been slightly noticeable over the last month or so and the problem only surfaces when accelerating and turning left-ish. I did have a nose through the forum search here but couldn't seem to find anything relevant - although a Googly search did offer some suggestions for other Audis... would something like a worn hub be responsible for this behaviour?

I mention the hub because I've noticed a bit of a whirring noise coming from the same area in the last 2-3 months. I suspect impending doom and a large sized dent in the wallet shortly but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised lol. Is anyone able to offer advice/pearls of wisdom before I take it down to my local garage?
Old 19th January 2014, 10:38 AM

Never the easiest to establish without taking bits apart, unfortunately. Could be anything in that area from a strut top mount (they usually get noisy a LONG time before they actually have measurable play) or any of the suspension joints could be at fault.

When's the MOT due as that will often pick up stuff easier than a mechanic with a wheels free ramp as it's difficult to identify worn joints without any load on them and the suspension hanging free?

There's a couple of threads about suspension parts - try a search for Meyle for recommended suppliers if it turns out to be anything in that area

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th January 2014, 12:55 PM

Default MOT due in July

I had a tie-rod end replaced last time but only on the one side. The annoying thing is that I can't remember which side it was. My local garage are more than happy to carry out FOC ramp jobs as I look after their IT estate (i.e. grubby old PC sat in the corner, festooned with scantily-clad ladies.)

Looks like I might be visiting them on Wednesday for a quick check to see what's wrong. The wobbling seems to emanate from the passenger side, and it's almost like a concentric cam spinning that makes it wobble slightly (similar to the way PS3 controllers vibrate) and that's why I thought that it may be hub related.

Cheers for the input Adrian. Might see you this week as I'll be popping down to see Hannah on Weds or Thurs.
Old 19th January 2014, 01:41 PM

You have to watch the quality of parts used in the suspension joints - if they're not fitting OEM it helps to know if they're ebay/local factors pattern specials or of a known brand like Febi/Mayle etc. The cheaper the bits the more of a lottery their lifespan is. It's not definitely the problem, but don't rule bits out because they were recently changed

Is it speed sensitive like a wheel weight coming off, or a wheel taken a pounding on a pothole?

Now I'm back at work I'm not home till 6.30 and am averaging getting the S8 out the garage about once every 2-3 weeks! My wife drove it to work on Friday as I was taking the cat to the vet and sprog's seat was in her car so less hassle - luckily the route she picked to get to work didn't involve any flood water! Been lots down here this week again.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th January 2014, 03:28 PM

Default Silver QE2 as it's known...

I had to divert a couple of weeks ago as the railway bridge road was flooded, and someone (rather embarrassingly, an Audi driver) had parked his car there, right in the middle under the bridge itself and I'm sure you must have seen it.

On a separate note, it's good to hear that work is keeping you busy, Adrian.

I will take the silver QE2 down to the garage on Wednesday and see what they say. I will also be having a look at a few condensation issues experienced recently, and with the aid of an 11 page post with lots of HPSauce input - I 'think' that I'm confident enough to figure out where the water is.

The wheel wobble only ever seems to emanate from the NSF wheel, and it's almost like the wheel is trying to apply traction and backing off again. I thought it might be the ESP doing its thing on a dodgy road surface, but it did it this morning on the exit slip road of the Blackwall tunnel near to East India Dock. It doesn't ever happen when woofing it in a straight line in the traffic light race ;-)

Tags
wobble a8l d2