A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 2nd May 2015, 06:47 PM

Default Steering wheel noise on turning (left or right)

Within the last month, my steering wheel has started squeaking. It does sound like plastic on plastic action but I can't figure out why it's doing it. I've tried moving the steering wheel up and down, in and out and also turning it at the same time to see if I can alleviate the source of this noise.

I can see that the steering column is encased by two large plastic parts and there's also a soft plastic sort of shield that covers the gap between the instrument binnacle and the top of the steering column when it's at its lowest position. I've tried ferreting around in that area but couldn't see anything worth investigating. I'd much rather get to the root of the problem instead of just squirting silicone lubricant spray everywhere.

Is this going to be a real PITA job or perhaps something easily diagnosed? I already have a requirement for replacing the self-cancelling indicator ring which I broke by mistake/force so perhaps I'll have to tackle both jobs at the same time.

Any advice?
Old 25th May 2015, 04:55 PM

spraying lubricate does no whelp. tried and failed. the squeak is coming from the shielded part of the steering column.
i am about to tackle this same issue in the next 2 weeks.
there are (i think) 4 small phillips stews at each corner of the bottom of the plastic shield. but i will need to get from ebay a set of thin/long screw drivers as the screws are recessed deeply. if you do this before i get round to it please update on RR method.
cheers raj

Last edited by goldsax; 25th May 2015 at 04:58 PM.