A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 26th March 2009, 12:38 PM
GregLo

Default Bad vibrations 2001 A8L

New tires just had front end checked no Problems:
Problem Im having is a low hum & vibration that I'm feeling at various speeds 55- 65mph less noticeable as I increase speed to around 80mph feelings as if it was right under the car. I also have been experiencing that when I put the car in park on an incline that it seems to roll a little more than it should ( this was just to test I usually use emergency brake) in other words, in park I can move the car a few inches, is that ok
Doesn't seem right
Greg
Old 26th March 2009, 01:24 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

If you park the car on a slight incline and leave the parking brake off and selector in park then you will have a few inches of roll as the drivetrain takes up the slack; perfectly normal.

As for vibrations when the car is at certain speeds, is it load related or just speed. Do you get it on the overrun, at steady speed or under accelration?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 26th March 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 26th March 2009, 06:10 PM
GregLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
If you p[ark the ar on a slight incline and leave the parking brake off and selecter in neutral then you will have a few inches of roll as the drivetrain takes up the slack; perfectly normal.

As for vibrations when the car is at certain speeds, is it load related or just speed. Do you get it on the overrun, at steady speed or under accelration?

I get it on the over run and on acceleration, but it evens out the higher the speed or should I say its less noticeable
does the A8 have a universal joint because it feels sort of like that.
As an update I just got the car back from the brake shop and they said my rotors were to thin and they may be warped so I'm hoping this is the true source but I wont know until there replaced
Old 26th March 2009, 06:23 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Try A8Parts for your rotors they have a number of good rotors.

Mike

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 27th March 2009, 03:22 PM
harpersimon

or buy new for £40 a side - easy to replace.
Mind you , made seemingly no difference to my driving vibration similar to yours.
Old 27th March 2009, 08:19 PM

What does it bad U Joint sound like? I know CV joints click and clunk. I have a hum or drone if you like and its oposite to the wheel bearing test i.e. its louder when turning right and the sound is coming from the in front of me to the right... I hope to God it isn't those bloody Diff bearings again!
Old 30th March 2009, 02:45 AM
GregLo

thought about drilled rotors anybody have any suggestions or should i go oem I dont want sqeaking and I'm not concerned with dust to much thinking about oem pads