A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 22nd October 2012, 02:58 PM

Default RNS-d install

Afternoon A8 People.

I hope you don't mind a A4 owner joining up and picking your brains.

I recently picked up a RNS-d unit from an A3 complete with CD Changer, aerials, TMC, Tuner B and a hand full of cables.

I've been slowly cleaning up the cables, sorting out what I need, didn't need and trying to work out what the cut cables was for.

First off I bolted the RNS-d unit into the car.
My old Concert plugs plugged in and worked without any issues. I changed the code from Bose to non-Bose system (then my VCDS packed up).
Plugged my Xcarlink in with my iPod video and got some tunes going.

I also updated the firmware.

Is 2003 the latest version available?
Is there any updates out there for the TMC or Tuner?
Anyone got a broken RNS-d that they don't want, I want to rob the faceplate and buttons off it please.

I bought a Universal GPS aerial off ebay, plugged it in, fitted it between the roof and the lining.
The stereo is reporting a GPS signal which is anything from 2 bars to full.
I'm assuming this is normal because i'm traveling at the time.
The satnav is not keeping up with my location, it bounces around a bit.
But reading Mannyo's thread (RNS-D and TMC retrofit 2001 FL 3.7) it seems like it needs time to set it self up.

Am I right in assuming the GPS signal is ok bouncing around like it's doing?
I was looking through the hidden menus within the RNS unit and came across a section where I can or adjust the Gala settings depending on the wheel size. I can't find this menu again and I'm running slightly bigger wheels than normal (18"). Does anyone know how to get back in to this menu?

The system keeps saying TMC error when it turns on but I've ordered this Cable so hopefully it will solve this issue.
I did try using the original cables that came with the stereo but it did not seem to help. I'm not sure if this is me not plugging all the aerials in or just the normal FM aerial.

On the TMC box, there is two aerial plugs. is this for FM aerial in and a FM signal out to the stereo?

In the box of bits I also had the Tuner, going by this post by IT http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112 I have the Tuner B, so the AV cable in that post will be sutible. I was unable to find the cable on ebay but randomly found a bloke on my regular forum that sells them, so I ordered one off him.

With this cable, is it a simple case of plugging in a DVD for example and it appears on the screen?
How do you select between DVD1 or DVD2 (if that's what you wanted it)?
If I was going to plug a PC in, what is the resolution should I set it to?

I sat down on the weekend and removed the separate cables from and sorted them all out a little bit.

I'd like to use the standard GPS/TV/FM roof aerial that came in box but there is 3 plugs coming out of the base and I'm not sure which one is which.
Does anyone know if it matters which one i plug them into or does anyone goes?

I think that's it all for now.
Sorry if I rambled on at all or asked any questions that's already been asked.
I'm still looking for answers but most people seems to say "get RNS-e" all the time when I'm happy with the d, it looks more fitting with my dash (apart from the gaps, I need to replace the faceplate) and hopefully it will do everything I need it to do.
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:29 PM

Is 2003 the latest version available?
Is there any updates out there for the TMC or Tuner?
Anyone got a broken RNS-d that they don't want, I want to rob the faceplate and buttons off it please.

2003 is the latest firmware, once you get the TMC module hooked up the same firmware CD also contains the latest TMC update, simply select update TMC instead.

I bought a Universal GPS aerial off ebay, plugged it in, fitted it between the roof and the lining.
The stereo is reporting a GPS signal which is anything from 2 bars to full.
I'm assuming this is normal because i'm traveling at the time.
The satnav is not keeping up with my location, it bounces around a bit.
But reading Mannyo's thread (RNS-D and TMC retrofit 2001 FL 3.7) it seems like it needs time to set it self up.

The RNS-D as I found out needs a gala signal and gps signal for navigation, my car already had Gala at the headunit.

I would not use any of that wiring that you got with the kit and instead buy two aftermarket looms and combine them to one which is what I did. That way, I got the TMC tuner and GALA all hooked up very easily, Gala for NAV is required to be connected to the special 28way connector in the centre back of the RNS-D.

I used an aftermarket GPS antenna and fitted that under the dashboard. The receiver should idealy have no metalwork above it, so under the dash is fine.

Am I right in assuming the GPS signal is ok bouncing around like it's doing?
I was looking through the hidden menus within the RNS unit and came across a section where I can or adjust the Gala settings depending on the wheel size. I can't find this menu again and I'm running slightly bigger wheels than normal (18"). Does anyone know how to get back in to this menu?

Dont need to touch that menu, once you get the gala hooked up properly it should work fine, the reason your jumping all over the place is that GPS is only sampled every 30 seconds, as the car uses gala primarily and GPS as a secondary.

The system keeps saying TMC error when it turns on but I've ordered this Cable so hopefully it will solve this issue.
I did try using the original cables that came with the stereo but it did not seem to help. I'm not sure if this is me not plugging all the aerials in or just the normal FM aerial.

That is the very cable I used to hookup the TMC tuner,

On the TMC box, there is two aerial plugs. is this for FM aerial in and a FM signal out to the stereo?

It is indeed, and they are included in the kit above.

In the box of bits I also had the Tuner, going by this post by IT http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112 I have the Tuner B, so the AV cable in that post will be sutible. I was unable to find the cable on ebay but randomly found a bloke on my regular forum that sells them, so I ordered one off him.

The tuner is analogue only so no use in the UK, you dont need to use it to get an AV input and it just adds unneccsary complexity. Instead buy this, and forget the tuner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1809802989...84.m1423.l2649

I also bought this plug and play loom and combined the one above into this to make a single loom, this kit will get you gala onto the right pin on the 28 pin connector and give you somewhere to hook in the Can-H and Can-L connections.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-SEAT-SK...-/280624587974

With this cable, is it a simple case of plugging in a DVD for example and it appears on the screen?
How do you select between DVD1 or DVD2 (if that's what you wanted it)?
If I was going to plug a PC in, what is the resolution should I set it to?

Dont bother with the tuner, use the item above and you can hook in any AV source.

I have attached the install guide I used, its for an A6 and shows how to connect it all up. Took some searching to find as the site hosting the docs is long gone. You dont need all the bits, just pick the relevant areas in this document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TED_RNSD.pdf (4.54 MB, 560 views)
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 22nd October 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:49 AM

mannyo
ScottB5
2003 is the latest firmware, once you get the TMC module hooked up the same firmware CD also contains the latest TMC update, simply select update TMC instead.

Thats cool. Gives me time to find a start up image I want to use

The RNS-D as I found out needs a gala signal and gps signal for navigation, my car already had Gala at the headunit.

I got a GALA feed, hopefully that's ok.

I used an aftermarket GPS antenna and fitted that under the dashboard. The receiver should idealy have no metalwork above it, so under the dash is fine.

I'll relocate this to the dash at the weekend

Dont need to touch that menu, once you get the gala hooked up properly it should work fine, the reason your jumping all over the place is that GPS is only sampled every 30 seconds, as the car uses gala primarily and GPS as a secondary.

I'll ignore it and move the aerial. Thanks

The tuner is analogue only so no use in the UK, you dont need to use it to get an AV input and it just adds unneccsary complexity. Instead buy this, and forget the tuner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1809802989...84.m1423.l2649

I also bought this plug and play loom and combined the one above into this to make a single loom, this kit will get you gala onto the right pin on the 28 pin connector and give you somewhere to hook in the Can-H and Can-L connections.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-SEAT-SK...-/280624587974

I did see that but thought I'd save the extra expense and just use the TV tuner since I got it.

I have attached the install guide I used, its for an A6 and shows how to connect it all up. Took some searching to find as the site hosting the docs is long gone. You dont need all the bits, just pick the relevant areas in this document.
That's a really good doc, Thank you.
I've read his name around a couple of times but can never find his docs.
Do you know if there is a phase 2 doc around?
Old 27th October 2012, 04:24 PM

I spent the morning routing the tuner cables and TMC cables.

I wired up the TMC but the stereo is still saying there is no TMC or fault.
I checked the cables and they all appear to be correct with no breaks.

Is there any way to test the TMC unit?
Old 27th October 2012, 05:59 PM

If you were having errors about the TMC not being connected before you fitted it then it's coded correctly so we can rule that out.

Display the Navigation screen. Press and hold the "AS" key and the down arrow at the same time.

The TMC is called the CAN Gateway on this page, see if it shows up as OK or not connected.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerips View Post
If you were having errors about the TMC not being connected before you fitted it then it's coded correctly so we can rule that out.

Display the Navigation screen. Press and hold the "AS" key and the down arrow at the same time.

The TMC is called the CAN Gateway on this page, see if it shows up as OK or not connected.
Cool.
I'll take a look tomorrow.
Thanls.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:47 AM

I'm still playing about with this and I'm not sure if I'm getting anywhere.

I ran the cables for the tuner from the boot to the front, wired in the power (should it be constant or ignition live?) and connected the canbus cables to the thers.

This never worked. It was still displaying the above image.
I'm not worried about the dash display cause I've not my new clocks yet.

I had another look at it last night, checked that each unit was getting power and the canbus cables was making a connection to the stereo.

I did notice that I messed up a little bit on the canbus wiring.
I connected all canbus cables together and I don't think this was right.

The 2 canbus cables coming out of the stereo was connected to the 2 from the Tuner and the 4 from the TMC.
I disconnected all the canbus cables and separated the stereo cables from the TMC and from the tuner.

First I connected the Tuner to the stereo cables and tested that.
Still no connection.
All cables was connected with no breaks in the cables.

Moved on to the TMC.
The TMC has 2 sets of canbus cables and I'm not sure what each set does or goes where they are meant to be connected to.
So I plugged both sets in one at a time to the cables coming from the stereo and that never worked.

I'm a bit stuck here.
Unless I'm doing something massively wrong, stereo is faulty and not receiving any canbus signals, the power going to the TMC and tuner is not working (I've checked it and it appears ok) or its all faulty and I might as well give up.

With the TMC being a canbus gateway, does that mean it translates the stereo's signal to the rest of the car?

I'm annoyed that something that read to be so simple has became a right in the ass for me.

I looked at the loom I bought off ebay and that never helped. I used that and it still did not work.

Does anyone know if the TV tuner requires canbus to be connected for the stereo to know its there or does it do it via the 11pin round plug?
Old 31st October 2012, 03:43 PM

After chatting to a friend he was able to give me some pin outs.

For the TMC
pin 2 - Canbus Low
pin 3 - Canbus High
Is for the instrument cluster.

Pin 8 Canbus Low
Pin 9 Canbus High
Is to the RNS-d's 26pin plug. Pin 13 Canbus High and pin 26 Canbus Low.

The Tuners Canbus cables are Pin 13 High and Pin 26 Low.
Theses go to the RNS-d's 26pin plug. Pin 13 Canbus High and pin 26 Canbus Low.

There is also a K Lin cable on the Tuner that I never connected. I will route this one round to the central locking pump and see if it makes a difference.
The K Line cable on the Tuner plug is Pin 21.
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:44 PM

Had a quick go after work.
Double checked the power to the Tuner and Power to the TMC, all ok.

Wired the Tuner up to the RNS with out TMC and it worked.
The RNS unit detected the Tuner and switched to the Tuner. Brilliant.

1 down and 1 to go.

I connected TMC to the RNS via the cables above and the RNS unit could did not detect the TMC.
I double checked the power cables and Canbus cables but nothing.
It all appears to be ok but no connection.

I can't see any reason for the TMC unit not to communicate with the RNS, unless the TMC needs to be connected to the clocks or the unit is faulty.

It started to rain and I had to shut the doors so I gave up with the TMC for now and got the portable DVD player to see if I can get it on the screen.

I pluged the DVD player into one of the yellow sockets and changed the input signal from TV to AV1 and on to AV2 y/c (I think that's it) trying to find it but I was not able to find anything.

I need to do some research about this and about the TMC but that's where I am at the moment.

I'll keep updating how I get on in the hope it helps others.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:09 PM
Administrator

The TMC is a gateway from the cars canbus, to the RNS-D (Blaupunkt) Canbus.

The TMC has only 6 wires - Permanent 12v, ground and 2 x canbus high and lows.

The TMC will need connecting to the RNS-D so it can talk to that, to the power (obviously) and also to the corrent (infotainment?) canbus from the clocks.

If you dont connect the TMC to the car canbus, it will never get a canbus signal to power up.... If it doesnt power up, it'll never work...

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance