A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 20th October 2017, 03:58 PM

Default Auto darkening mirrors

Hi guys. now that my starting issues are resolved its time to get down to fixing the other annoying niggles that the car has.

One of these is that the driver's side auto darkening mirror very often auto darkens - and stays dark, meanwhile the rear view mirror stops working altogether. The passenger side is not affected due to being a non - darkening replacement.

The problem always occurs on start-up and as far as I can make out can only be fixed by pulling the battery for a few seconds. I originally thought it was due to the car struggling to start and causing various electrical glitches but it has since done it with the fixed starting.

So for the questions: Has anyone experienced this before/know what causes it and know how to stop it happening or even how to reset them without pulling the battery?

I'm slightly suspicious of the power management module. It doesnt communicate with my crappy copy of VCDS so I cant see if it has any faults logged. It seems the auto darkening mirrors are expensive to replace and there is something of a waiting list for them! I would really like to replace both the wing mirrors though as I constantly get dazzled by the passenger side one and the liquid inside the drivers side one leaves a little to be desired.

gill
Old 20th October 2017, 05:22 PM

I'd disconnect the drivers side one and see how the system behaves; it could have a fault that is throwing the control module off?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 21st October 2017, 09:31 AM

Its worth a try. I should have mentioned that there are no faults logged on VCDS fo the mirrors. when the drivers side mirror goes dark the rear view fails to go dark.

My suspicion is that it is some sort of voltage spike type fault due to it only happening when the engine is starting, but that is purely a suspicion. Its one of those faults that is a niggle, but an annoying niggle all the same haha.
Old 21st October 2017, 05:29 PM

How clever are the dimming mirrors in a D3? I suspect the answer is "not in the least" but I don't know the setup.

Most systems are remarkably simple - a sensor (usually two, one for daylight, the other for detecting headlights behind) in the interior mirror and a very simple control circuit that varies a voltage to all 3 mirror glasses (interior, left and right) to control the dimming.

So just replacing the interior mirror unit may fix it. £26.59 from our sponsors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D3...-/170928366722
I'm sure other colours are also available if that doesn't match.

Of course, as you probably know, the exterior mirror glass is in a separate price category.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 21st October 2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:08 AM

Are the interior mirrors the same for the D2 and the D3? They certainly look the same. I have a D2 one sitting around already.

I will wait and see if it continues doing it before I start taking bits apart. It has only done it the once since the starting problem was sorted.
Old 19th November 2017, 02:06 PM

Ok, so this is getting annoying now. It is consistently below freezing every morning up here now. This takes more juice from the battery to start it which seems to be what is causing the fault with the mirrors. I will try changing the rear view mirror and see if that makes any difference seeing as I have one (D2 though).

I wonder if the keyless entry is draining the battery overnight enough to cause the problem. I wonder if the countless jump starts and battery drains from the hot start issue I used to have has damaged the circuitry?? There are so many variables for what should be a fairly simple system its bordering on alarming!