A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 15th November 2013, 01:10 PM

Well the MAF arrived, but it's not "New" as advertised. Box and item both labelled as remanufactured and looking at the state of the box, been kicking around for a while.

Is it worth fitting a remanufactured MAF? It's not a difficult job to swap - maybe 20 minutes max.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th November 2013, 01:47 PM

Reman should be fine, it'll be a used case with new components inside usually. Warranty is usually the same as new.

I know.. I know..

Old 15th November 2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Is it worth fitting a remanufactured MAF?
It depends where you purchased it. If it was purchased from Audi/TPS or directly from BOSCH i would fit it.

If it was private sale on eBay i'll return is asap hopefully seller accepts returns.
Old 15th November 2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
If it was private sale on eBay
Basically it was, looks like the seller probably buys up old stock from car parts shops (closedowns probably) and sells on eBay.
We're having sensible (formal, via eBay) communication about a partial refund so I might try it over the weekend and see if it works and is worth keeping. It does appear to be a genuine Bosch remanufactured part, not a cheap copy. Though I can't tell if it's been used as the packaging isn't sealed.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th November 2013, 02:10 PM

Dodgy. I'd return and purchase genuine Audi.

Don't look at casing and seals -- this is not important. The important is the sensor itself, which is a very small part in the middle of the 'pipe'.
The 1M$ question is whether the sensor was replaced with a new sensor and then calibrated in place.
If someone just sprayed a cleaner on the sensor this remanufacturing is not sustainable.

Last edited by notorious; 15th November 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 16th November 2013, 01:11 PM

I'm fairly certain it is (or was) a proper remanufactured item, but not sure if it's straight from the factory or has been used.

Either way I now have it at an acceptable (to me) price for what it could be and will use it for testing/comparison if nothing else. It will help in my diagnosis as to whether this odd little problem is caused by the MAF sensor.

The engine does run OK with it fitted and there are no immediate/obvious problems on a couple of short runs. I'm not doing any long runs for a few days so the short journeys I do over the next few days should be a reasonable test, both of whether my problem is MAF-related and also whether this dubious one is performing OK.

Any suspicions or doubts and I'll be getting a brand new one from Audi. Meanwhile my old one is carefully wrapped up in the car, along with the tools needed to change it (just a large Phillips and large flat-blade screwdriver).
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:52 PM

Sadly, the symptoms persist.
I guess I'll be looking at the throttle position sensor next?
Old 8th December 2013, 12:23 AM

Have no more ideas about initial problem -- sorry.

I was reviewing PCV valve story as I'm going to change my PCV valve soon.

Opening ETKA revealed that two hose clips N 104 180 01 that require special tool where superceded with 'classic' hose clips with a bolt part number N 905 618 01 in cars with chassis number after F 4D-3-006 001. These are cars manufactured in August and September 2002, two months before D2s were removed from production -- 'final editions' perhaps.

Interestingly, rubber pipes and PCV valve itself where were left the same the moment they changed the hose clips, which proves that 'classic' hose clips will work just fine with older cars.

Although I have the special hose clip tool I'll be ordering classic N 905 618 01 hose clips with bolts as they are simply easier to work with.

Last edited by notorious; 11th December 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 8th December 2013, 08:05 AM

I have replaced the PCV Valve, MAF and fully serviced the car and still have the odd erratic throttle when cold.

Its either the sensor for it or the fact I have a fault code on one of the o2 sensors and that might be linked.
Old 4th February 2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Sadly, the symptoms persist.
I guess I'll be looking at the throttle position sensor next?
Or maybe not............

It still misbehaves occasionally and I started to think it was gearbox related - potentially VERY expensive.
There are some situations where it does if "fairly often" and it almost felt as if it was in the wrong (too high) gear, but the torque converter was possibly slipping. At other times it felt really "punchy". So I've started using Sport mode at "potentially iffy" times and so far it's behaving fine if I do, suggesting that the mechanicals are OK.

So, I'm beginning to wonder if the gearbox ECU is what's playing up and instructing the box badly?
Given all my water ingress issues I'm wondering some has found its way into the "box of tricks" under the bonnet with all the ECU's in. Not really the weather for taking the cover off and having a look at present. )

I recall that on my PF S8 I had a play with some of the gearbox ECU settings to make it more "driveable"; are there similar "tweaks" available for the later FL versions?
I think I mostly referred to this: http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...nsmission.html

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th February 2014 at 09:36 PM.