A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 29th November 2013, 09:53 AM

Default Poor radio reception

In my -06 4.2 TDI DAB is almost non-existent, although it does work sometimes for short periods of time. Also FM seems to be a bit poor... does the D3 have antenna amplifier? Or any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifin View Post
In my -06 4.2 TDI DAB is almost non-existent, although it does work sometimes for short periods of time. Also FM seems to be a bit poor... does the D3 have antenna amplifier? Or any other ideas?

Thanks
Hi

Amplifier and the actual connections is were I would start investigation

I think snapdragon had issues with his tv sound quality when he installed powerfull cree led drl bulbs in place of halogen drls, but dont take my word for it, I've got a very good memory but there are glitches

Also, have you got VCDS????, more likely an electronic faulty with any unit will throw a error message. Good place to start as well

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 29th November 2013, 03:25 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't have VCDS but I have Bluetooth OBD2 module, and Torque on my Android phone didn't find any fault codes. Where is the amp located? Is there any way to test it or do I need to buy a new part and try it? Does anyone know the part number and how much do they cost?

Last edited by audifin; 29th November 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 29th November 2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audifin View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't have VCDS but I have Bluetooth OBD2 module.
Yes, the HSUN DRLs make my DAB radio and to a lesser extent FM have bad signal, so will change them soon. emailed HSUN but no reply.

I think these OBD scanners only find engine OBD2 fault codes, nothing is read on the 30 or so other modules.

I enclose screenshot and PDF of component locations. I think member A8L Chick replaced hers, it may be worth a search of her posts.
Whatever happened to her? - I hope she's OK.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 1st December 2013, 06:59 PM

Thanks Snapdragon. At least in my previous car (Honda) I was able to read and clear air conditioning fault codes with this same module, but I shall investigate further. Maybe I need to buy proper VCDS kit.

I removed the trim above rear window today and there it was...

If the amplifier is broken, will that create a fault code or is there any other way to test it? I couldn't find anything amp related by A8L Chick...
Old 1st December 2013, 07:21 PM

Aha, sorry, I was close - I found the thread, it was C18 radio interference suppressor suspected because rear heated screen didn't work - not sure what the outcome was. Maybe you can look for the C18 too?
Old 6th December 2013, 06:43 AM

I noticed that switching on rear window heating causes interference, so that C18 probably needs to be replaced. Is it near the amp? What is the part number? Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 05:55 PM

Not sure around the window trim somewhere, there may be two.
Check the earths on the rear screen as it sounds like one is bad and so it's earthing through the supressor and when you turn the screen on there is too much resistance for such current.
Old 9th December 2013, 02:16 PM

Hi snapdragon, thank you for your advice. I removed the trim above the window again. I only found one earth wire there, and it appeared to be OK. However, I tried if removing makes any difference to the radio when the rear window heater is on - it didn't. I couldn't see the suppressor(s) - I found a picture and I think I know how it looks like.

I'm still thinking is that amp working at all... one would think that removing the earth cable would make some difference to the radio.
Old 1st February 2014, 03:30 PM

Finally had a chance to look into this again. I was able to bend the top of the side trims around the rear window - couldn't see any earths there so I guess they must be near the bottom edge. To get access there means removing the parcel shelf... which I guess means removing the rear seats first?

Can anyone definitively confirm that the earths are close to the bottom edge of the window?

Thanks