A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 4th July 2014, 07:49 PM

Default AMI retrofit / MMI update

So I decided to buy the AMI unit as all of my music is already in file format on our home server. Burning audio CD's to play in the 8 is a backward step.

The AMI unit is en route in the post. So while waiting for that I can update the MMI firmware as our version is 0350. I phone up Robinson Audi Norwich and explain what I'm doing and what I need from them, either to sell the update CD's and/or perform the update for me. Big mistake. The guy tells me he's sorry as unfortunately we can only update cars with the equipment that they were supplied with at the factory and not deviate from this unless there is a specific factory approved accessory available. Not a problem because the car still is in factory condition, I explain. Anyhow, getting no where with him - not even to buy the update CD's from them!

I'll email Vindis Audi Cambridge parts if they can sell me the CD's or I'll pay for a set off Ebay that I've seen.

One question guys, when retrofitting the AMI and updating MMI is it essential that I need VCDS?

Can't do anything for now, but I will keep updating with my progress.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 4th July 2014, 09:37 PM

You'll need to code the car for the presence of the AMI, and I wouldn't bother running the updates until the AMI is fitted as you'll only need to run again after.

Worst case scenario it'll drop into component protection, but that may disappear after coding the AMI

So yes, VCDS will be needed

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 5th July 2014, 09:37 AM

Thanks Adrian,

I was going to update MMI before the AMI install as per the guide on Audi Resource, but will leave it till after now. This morning I bought all original update CD's I need from TPS in Norwich for a just a tenner! They'll arrive Tuesday. Next on my list, VCDS.

Old 6th July 2014, 11:25 AM

I didn't have to code mine. I don't even have VCDS or whatever. I just bunged the AMI in the space next to the autochanger and it worked!
And what an improvement. Endless music
Old 6th July 2014, 03:35 PM

There you go then, you might get away with it

Doing MMI updates can screw up your systems so I'd always tend to avoiding doing it unless you've got a reason to try. Newer map updates do require the most up to date firmware, but that can cause CP to drop in.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th July 2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't have to code mine. I don't even have VCDS or whatever. I just bunged the AMI in the space next to the autochanger and it worked!
And what an improvement. Endless music
What MMI firmware were you on when you bunged in the AMI?

Old 7th July 2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
What MMI firmware were you on when you bunged in the AMI?
Firmware is 55.7.0.8035. If that's the wrong number tell me and I'll have another go.
Old 8th July 2014, 06:58 AM

You need something in the 33.xxx range for AMI from memory. Guessing that you don't have bluetooth, but the Motorola SIM-based unit for that age of firmware so you 'should' be safe for the upgrade to 5570, though you may need to run the disks through a couple of times.

AMI is a straight swap for the CD changer, though if you want to run them together, then you may need to update the coding which takes all of 5 minutes with VCDS. 55.7.0 is the latest firmware for the MMI2G system, so that's what you should end up with when you're done. Gives 3D maps as well as a few performance tweaks.

I know.. I know..

Old 8th July 2014, 05:49 PM

Thanks tonupkid and Psyche,

Yep, I don't have bluetooth and the 8 isn't installed with the phone or tyre pressure monitors.

I've got most of the parts I need, see pic, all except VCDS. Total spent £284 for all new parts

I am thinking I may update the MMI all the way to 5150, install AMI, finally update to 5570 in the hope that I don't have to code the AMI as I'm planning to keep the CD changer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140708_002.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	603.6 KB
ID:	8567  

Old 8th July 2014, 09:56 PM

My CD changer is there and happily working away on the incredibly rare occasions I use it. In fact its where I've parked the CD handbook. Not something you'd want to use, being slower than a jar of pickle, but once, just once it was dead useful.
No reprogramming of anything was done. Just plugged and played
Good luck with your installation