A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 4th October 2014, 11:46 AM

Default Front Speaker "Crackle" Resolved

Afternoon all,

Well another job on the D3 has been crossed off the task list. The D3 really has had too many little faults for my likeing compared to the D2!!

Anyway, I found that playing CDs I had a crackle coming from the front speakers. This was not speaker rattle, distortion or cooked voice coils; most logic was pointing me towards the Bose amplifier in the boot.

I looked into this and did some tests and that did not stack up as the radio was not crackling (I thought it was, but after some more testing its not).

Therfore I looked at the CD Changer, removed it from the car for a look. Now its a complicated beast so I would not recommend anyone taking it apart, do not do this as I doubt many could get it back together again.

Anyway I took mine apart but could not really get to the CD lense easily(Which would cause problems if dirty).

So I used a spray duster on the internals and lense, also and very importantly cleaned the optical lead and connector in the CD player with a quick blast (Do not shove anything in there or try cleaning liquids).

I wanted to ensure no dust, dirt and fluff was on the lense or in the optical connector, plus it was seated and connected OK when it all went back in.

All back together, back in the car and fully working again.

Result, no crackle.
Old 5th October 2014, 07:25 AM

Always handy when its a reasonably simple fix.

I wonder if I could use the spray duster trick on my navigation dvd drive which struggles to read DVD-R maps but reads originals fine. I cannot get the drive out to take the lid off to get access to the lens.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles