A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 15th December 2022, 10:54 AM

That green one is interesting - a very early FL without Brembos. I've only ever seen one other in that spec. That's actually a bonus because although the Brembos have larger discs, the calipers themselves are an expensive liability and don't actually work very well.

The blue one is about the going rate for one with low mileage (12-15k), but tbh the only thing you get with low mileage is less rusty subframes and springs, and less wear on the driver's thigh bolster. You get the same oil leaks and worn out rubber components as a 200k example simply from age. There's another Santorin Blue example on ebay at the moment for about £7K, with 90k miles which is a much better prospect and probably in very similar condition.

Reliability is a tricky question. If the car has been impeccably maintained then it can be reliable. I'd cross a continent in either of mine without any hesitation, but then I've replaced almost everything and drive them frequently. An example which has been neglected or laid up is going to have issues which will take time to sort out so reliability will be a moving target. D2s need to be used as well. They hate being parked, so one in daily use with less history would be at least on-par with another with lots of maintenance that lives in storage.

Most people do prefer the facelift because it does feel and look a little more modern, which is a shame because the pre-facelift has an different character of its own, but still has the magic that makes a D2 special. Arguably slightly more so since it has better quality materials inside. I can't comment on the engine yet as I've never driven mine properly.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the double-din of the facelift tbh. The RNSd is thoroughly out of date now, and its non-trivial to successfully fit an aftermarket unit in there due to peculiarities of the Bose system. That said, a couple of us have been working on fitting Android-based units in there with a suitable replacement amp, and in my case also speakers, with some good results so far. Check out Ronin's thread on that for more info. Double din is available for the PF although its rare and so relatively costly. Personally in a PF I would just fit a bluetooth adapter to the original head unit and use my phone for navigation. You can do that on the FL also of course.
Old 15th December 2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Welcome Marty. Others may not agree, but having had S8s for over 20 years I'd say they don't really need much maintenance at all. But when they do an expert like MJ is worth their weight in gold.
(My 20yo current S8 has just had the MJ treatment at 100,000 miles and is and is good as new in most respects, better in some e.g. braking!)
I would agree with HP that mileage is immaterial after it has been worked on by MJ. My S8 at 174K Miles (The Barn Find - you will see in the WITW threads) feels like a new car and I have no issue taking it anywhere. But they do need to be used. Maybe a suggestion would get yourself to a few mini meets - Possibly one at MJ's again, Mike (Conan) could arrange an easter hunt? - or something a bit local to you. I think some members are not too far away from Woking??

The PF that MJ is working on is well worth a look at.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 15th December 2022, 01:02 PM
Banned

Yeah, the kind of people that still run RNSD have AA road maps from 2002 in the boot and listen to CD's..

If you want a proper head unit with DAB, Reverse camera, AndroidAuto/Carplay and you want it to work properly with buttons on the steering wheel etc while looking factory, i can sort you out
Old 15th December 2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Yeah, the kind of people that still run RNSD have AA road maps from 2002 in the boot and listen to CD's..
My AA road map of the UK in the boot is from 1995! The OS one with it is from 2000. RNS-D is I think 2007 maps.
Most places, especially the ones I want to go in my S8, haven't moved much since any of those years ......

My add-on (wireless) reversing camera works fine and having recently removed my XCarlink and DVB-T tuner (OTT) I just need take off the drivers knee panel (when its warmer!) to plug in the cable that will reinstate (a simpler) Bluetooth/mini-jack streaming audio solution.

And yes I do have CDs in the auto changer in the boot.

Though oddly, re MJs comment above, my car is non-Bose so replacing the RNS-D would be easier than most.
My first S8 had an RNS-C, now that WAS a rare thing!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 15th December 2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old 15th December 2022, 02:59 PM

Default Again thanks guys.

@mikkiJanye – thanks for the great response! And you seem to have a fine grasp of this car looking at your posts!

To be honest, The low mileage Santorin Blue S8 I test drove was the 1st one I’d driven. I loved it, but without any working knowledge of what specifically to look for, I wasn’t prepared to meet him anywhere near 15k. I used the price to stop me from buying it. I wasn’t sure about the valve train noise, I posted this video on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clyum...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=).
The feedback is this is normal, great, had an expensive rebuild of the VANOS on a Z3m coupe a few years ago, put me off valvetrain noise!

- “Santorin Blue example on ebay at the moment for about £7K” – I have been talking to the seller on whatsapp. I am waiting for him to send me a video before I go see it! From the photos he’s sent my main concern is corrosion on the front window pillar (image attached) Considering its aluminium is this a big red flag? The car is rough around the edges, which normally suggests neglect.

- "The low mileage Santorin Blue" The thinking behind low mileage is resale value, attractiveness if I ever sell.
- What I meant with the double din comment, was that I could put a nice new unit with apple car play, SATNAV and reversing camera. I used to have an 2008 S5 the nav on that was useless in 2012!
- What would you budget for an overhaul on the most age prone failure components? Hoses etc, to ensure that I can drive it to Italy and back?

@strummagnet – would quite like to attend a mini meet, if you allow BMWs? It would be a good opportunity for me to learn what specifically to look for on these cars!
@Ronin – 1st thing I would do is new headunit thanks!

Acronym question - WITW? – linked to overhauling the cars? What does it stand for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S8 corr.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	29041  
Old 15th December 2022, 03:30 PM

Oooh that's bad That is from a careless windscreen fitter (ie all of them) trashing the paint taking the screen out, not dealing with the scratches, and then moisture getting in and creeping under the paint. That's glass out and respray the whole roof to solve it, and tbh with it getting in to the aluminium like that you may not even solve it by repainting. I'd walk away from that one, even in the lovely santorin blue. So many D2s have been spoiled by awful paintwork now its very difficult to find a 100% original example. We have most of them within the forum now I think

I can't see the insta link, but excited mechanical thrashing for a few seconds on startup is fine. A loud clatter or rattle on a cold start is very not fine and indicates the cam chain tensioners need replacement (£1500 in parts).

WITW is 'What's in the workshop'. My restoration threads started out with that title and then got shortened to WITW, so search on 'workshop' as well to find the early ones. They are all in the Daily Banter section and go back about 7 years I think.

Btw, there's a <100K grey example on ebay too which has been for sale forever. Run screaming from that one - its trashed and likely needs a gearbox rebuild.
Old 15th December 2022, 06:56 PM

What about this car ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204130408...Bk9SR57UgPaiYQ

2016 Audi S8 D4

2014 Audi RS4 B8

2007 Audi RS4 B7

1999 Subaru UK 22B

2002 Audi S8 D2

2005 Subaru STi Type UK

2000 UK Subaru Impreza Turbo
Old 16th December 2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky22buk View Post
Described as Ming Blue Pearl, looks flippin silver to me!
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 16th December 2022, 10:19 AM

I had a 2000 S8 which I sold a little while back (seems prices have gone up a little). As for reliability, it was on just over 122k miles when I sold and I had no problems with it. Usual suspension bushes needed replacing and regular oil changes but nothing you wouldn't expect. I really miss that car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
That was me a few months back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
And no interior photos... odd?
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 16th December 2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Definitely recorded as Blue on DVLA.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Tags
d2 for sale, s8 for sale, wanted