A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 29th February 2016, 06:26 PM

Default Owners on the logbook....

Guys are everyone so bothered with how many owners car had?
If car is in really good condition, 10 years old - are owners that important?
Just cannot get my head around it. Usually second question about the car us how many owners?
Old 29th February 2016, 06:58 PM

This what annoys and confuses me as well.
I caught myself in all this drama as well but only because everyone is talking about it and there seems to be so much fuss about it with most people.

I don't believe there is a pattern if I'm honest.

Sometimes it will matter as car will have ongoing problem which bad mechanics can't fixed and problem comes back every year or whatever, sometimes, like I found out with more juicy cars, where people think they can afford to run, but they can't and there will be six of them like that in a row and very quickly number will accumulate as each of them will sell the car within 6months, and car will be in absolutely mint condition and sound.

It's similar to mileage drama
Some engines can't take a lot of miles, many A8 D3s still run very well with 250k and few knows with 500k, but mainly as they are looked after.

The biggest problem is people who let them self to be brainwashed so much that no matter what you say to them or what proof you will put on front of them, they will just believe that if car has 3-4+ owners and 100k+ is just dogs poo

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 29th February 2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 29th February 2016, 07:17 PM

My s8 has 7 owners and is near mint condition. As I'd like to sell it I'm afraid it devalue it (I'm sure previous owners had some fun and of the car goes)
I'm literally thinking of registering it abroad back to UK and onwers will be 1-me
Old 29th February 2016, 07:43 PM

It does depend on the owners, but it could mean that it's been better maintained as each new owner spends money on repairs that a previous owner might have put off doing.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 1st March 2016, 06:27 AM

Thing is you can't be sure all the owners have been good to it. More owners more chance of the car being abused. I'd use it as an angle to push the price down. Things like one lady owner, never raced or rallied would put me off.

Eye of the beholder and all that, while selling it'll be immaculate, fully loaded, best car i've ever owned. and while buying "Then why sell it?" it's missing blaa blaa so it's not fully loaded, couple of marks on it.

Just the way it is

Bright yellow bus o love.

Last edited by Dezzy; 1st March 2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 1st March 2016, 08:00 AM

it all depends on the car, I am the 6th owner of my 2008 S8 (!) which doesn't make a huge amount of sense, its a lovely car and well maintained, maybe I am still in the honeymoon period...

But, my 1997 Cabriolet has had 8 previous keepers, which given the year of the car is more understandable, especially as its a summer fun car
Old 1st March 2016, 09:08 AM

It's an S so will have been thrashed buy every owner at some point, every owners friends that have "had a go" and every mechanic that's done anything to it. It's the rules, otherwise you'd have bought a 1.4 derv
So more owners = more abuse.

Old 1st March 2016, 10:21 AM

So better option is 200K with one owner .... no abuse there
Aaaah now mileage is too high!!!
Hold on a second lets see 50K with 2 owners.....wait wait oh this is too expensive!!!
Yyyyyy I'll keep looking then....
Amazing how car market is these days
Old 1st March 2016, 10:41 AM

I'm not dissing your car or sale but you asked is anyone bothered about it, and the answer is: most are, yes.
The market is pretty much unchanged really, everyone is after the prefect car for as little as possible.
So low mileage, unmarked, low previous owners, full service history including bills with change in your pocket for when it goes wrong. That's what buyers want.
Sellers want an idiot to turn up and pay what they're asking for it because that's what they want for it.

You'll find the right person for the car eventually if you can wait.

A 200k 1 owner has the likely hood of having less of a thrashing than a 80k 8 owner car. Does it command a higher price? No as you're taking a risk on the mileage.
I have a PF with 235k and a long list of previous owners what you think it's worth 5 - 6K because i've replaced loads of bits and know it's good or a couple hundred quid to a breaker?

Old 1st March 2016, 11:02 AM

All good just fustrated a bit
I'm usually as honest as possible and its seems hard to find genuine buyer with a bit o appriciation