A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > House and Home DIY

House and Home DIY Everything at home. Building, Renovating, DIY, green initiatives, mowing the lawn. Anything goes

Old 3rd August 2016, 12:39 PM

The Corolux 1.1mm stuff is rated (provided you abide by the purlin distances) for snow but you would need an Alpine type roof to allow it to slide off!
Old 3rd August 2016, 02:27 PM

This just a picture from Google Maps but I used 1.1mm transparent PVC to make canopies in the areas in red on the picture last year. Biggest is about 4x4.5m and smallest is about 2.5x2.5m. Never mind the snow, it's strong enough for me to walk on if I whatch where I put my feet. Didn't measure the slope, just followed the existing garage roof sloping, the white bit is garage by the way. One thing i should mention is that you should use some sealant where the sheets join, I didn't and water seeps in between sheets and green algae starts growing so will need to lift it up, clean and re-assemble with sealant.

Also used some 10mm bronze coloured polycarbonate to close off the side marked red in this picture from google streetview.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	13898   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	13899  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 3rd August 2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 3rd August 2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
..... One thing i should mention is that you should use some sealant where the sheets join, I didn't and water seeps in between sheets and green algae starts growing so will need to lift it up, clean and re-assemble with sealant.
Yes, there is a double sided tape for making the end joins on the slope. Nothings mentioned about the side overlap joins tho' .
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:42 PM

Can I have a few of these when you are finished yours please?

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 4th August 2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Can I have a few of these when you are finished yours please?

I'll give you a quote - but i need to warn you that I'm not cheap (as the Actress said to the Bishop) as I have an S8 habit to support..... which compared to YOUR habit is, I would admit, rather cheap!!
Old 4th August 2016, 10:05 PM

At the side of our house is a row of eight garages. The back wall of these mark the end of our property. So we have a garage height wall along the side of the garden.
We own the frontmost garage, the others belong to our neighbours. We have a sort of ginnel between the house and the frontmost four. I have flagged this, built a gate across the front and it makes a great place to keep the bins. We have bought the second house on our block and knocked the two together. This means that we have two of each of the bins supplied by the council and eight bins fill the alley space nicely.
I have wanted to cover this space with something similiar to what you have used but never got round to it. What I have done though is cut two of the panels out of my garage end wall and fitted a door. The garage is now a workshop 'cos it is much too small for the 8.
If I ever manage to fit the roof panels they will be fastened to a beam running along the house side wall and then be supported by a framework standing on my flags but not attached to the neighbours garages. The roof will slope downwards toward the garages but will overlap so any rain will run off onto the garage roof.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 4th August 2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I'll give you a quote - but i need to warn you that I'm not cheap (as the Actress said to the Bishop) as I have an S8 habit to support..... which compared to YOUR habit is, I would admit, rather cheap!!
yeah just did the front discs and pads.... don't ask, and it's a need to know basis if anybody asks...

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 29th August 2016, 08:00 PM

Well, I finished the the roof a week or so ago and went away for a week and when I got back the car was free of seeds and leaves after being under shelter. Result!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	14083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	14084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	14085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	14086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	14087  
Old 29th August 2016, 08:04 PM

Result. I want one. Better than a garage; that becomes a large shed.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 29th August 2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Well, I finished the the roof a week or so ago and went away for a week and when I got back the car was free of seeds and leaves after being under shelter. Result!!
Great idea, well executed. But how, I'm left baffled here, can you be away for a week or so, without the 8