A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A4/S4/RS4 B7

A4/S4/RS4 B7 2005-2008

Old 6th February 2018, 10:55 AM

Default Moving sideways

Well, being as I have been without a car for a while since selling the S8, I was struggling to work out what car to buy as I will be doing big miles for projects, it had to be a diesel, had to have some grunt and had to be in a lower tax bracket. Ultimately I looked at A5s, A4s and A3s on lease deals but that seemed like throwing money down the drain and not owning anything at the end. Plus, I may not like the cars once I live with them, apparent to me initially because I think modern Audi's have poor build quality and look a little vulgar with the big grille and S-line bling the new cars have and dont get me started on crash ride quality with 19s and 20s...

I looked at older cars, even a D3 diesel, but that would make me miss the S8 even more. I looked at other marquees but nothing grabbed my attention.

In the end, I bit the bullet on a 2006 A4 3.0TDI Quattro at a great price with a full dealer service history and 70,000 miles on the clock. My thinking being if I am trundling up to Greenock and a pile of other places over the next year then I may as well have the roof down when the weather is better and enjoy the view - especially if I vary my routes to take in some lovely scenic places. The purchase price was sweet as well, full RNS-E, clean kappa leather with no scuffs or bolster issues, etc...

Here she is

If anyone wants me to keep posting any progress or experiences with it let me know, if not, I will make my way onto another forum
Old 6th February 2018, 11:10 AM

Looks very tidy indeed. It would be a shame if you found your way to another forum. So it's a 'hang around and post here' from me

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 6th February 2018, 11:28 AM

Really nice looking car, enjoy. But you're gonna miss that V10!

Good luck with it fella
Old 6th February 2018, 12:07 PM

Nice choice That 3.0-litre TDI has some grunt, and the car looks tidy.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 6th February 2018, 01:23 PM

Thanks peeps - yeah, those pics were from the advert, its tidy but it needs some work and I already have started to Modify it ha ha, I never learn...

I used to have two of the B6 V8's - not at the same time - so I know the platform well and knew straight away what I wanted to do with the car. I've already fitted the S4 carbon trim I picked up from eBay as I really hated the brushed aluminium.

I've sourced a boot triangle as it was missing, updated the maps and firmware, got new wheels and tyres on the way (all season tyres, my god, available in this size and priced well - unlike S8 tyres), I've also sorted a dash cam as the S8 buyer wanted it as part of the deal - so I've now got a Garmin 45, replaced a cracked Bose speaker grille and finally, set to have her remapped to open up some more torque and replace a little of the missed S8 pace.

She drives lovely though and seeing 44mpg is one hell of a novelty!!

I'll also be taking her down to Dooka for a proper detail, paint correction and seal
Old 6th February 2018, 08:07 PM

If you are doing a lot of miles then it all makes a lot of sense. 44mpg. A low mileage car and lowish depreciation. It will cut your costs whilst having a car with some grunt and a cool top.
Stick around - there is a thread for other marques
Old 6th February 2018, 11:05 PM

Good choice and a good looking example
Old 7th February 2018, 04:02 AM

I like the wheels

Though you posted that you've bought new ones?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 7th February 2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
I like the wheels

Though you posted that you've bought new ones?
I have, they arrive with the new tyres on Monday - I'll post up pics when I do...

These are the mods so far...

Old 7th February 2018, 05:49 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised.
That carbon trim really lifts the interior doesn't it!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)