A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 2nd August 2019, 11:14 AM

Default Orange drain plug - poor design

I've recently encountered the sloshing noise of water in the channels connecting the rear passengers vents on top of the propshaft tunnel. I did my usual trick to syphon the water with a suitable length of clear plastic tubing, which was both small and flexible enough to squeeze in between the vent fins... managed to extract/drain about a pint of water.

Moved on to the orange drain plugs either side of the transmission 'bulge' and discovered a pool of water on the front passenger seat footwell. I removed the weird orange drain plug that seems to be poorly designed (in my opinion) and cut about 3mm off the end with a sharp knife. See attached photos. Hopefully I won't ever suffer from this again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orange_drain_plug2.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	22019   Click image for larger version

Name:	orange_drain_plug1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	22020  
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:38 AM

I think I did something similar last time I was in there; maybe just on one side?
Passenger side is marginally easier to get at so if I'm in a hurry I just do that one.
Not had any problems there for a while, fingers crossed.

The scuttle drains on the other hand are a bit more of a nuisance.
(Though hopefully when I have my "engine out" service at MJs in October they can have a "light trim" as well.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I think I did something similar last time I was in there; maybe just on one side?
Passenger side is marginally easier to get at so if I'm in a hurry I just do that one.
Not had any problems there for a while, fingers crossed.

The scuttle drains on the other hand are a bit more of a nuisance.
(Though hopefully when I have my "engine out" service at MJs in October they can have a "light trim" as well.)
I did have a good poke around when my gearbox was done at KSM, and made sure they were clear. Looking back with the undoubted benefits of hindsight, I should have trimmed the similarly-styled ends of the big fat black pipes either side of the gearbox.
Old 10th December 2019, 06:26 PM

Having recently acquired an endoscope camera to check/probe the scuttle drains: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15325 I was wondering if it could also be used to check the aircon condensate tray without removing the transmission tunnel trim panels?
Is there a way in that anyone can think of, or do we just have to take the trim panel off and attack the orange drains directly?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th December 2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Having recently acquired an endoscope camera to check/probe the scuttle drains: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15325 I was wondering if it could also be used to check the aircon condensate tray without removing the transmission tunnel trim panels?
Is there a way in that anyone can think of, or do we just have to take the trim panel off and attack the orange drains directly?
After having had great success with my cowl/scuttle drains recently, I was thinking of much the same thing as the windows have now started to show condensation. I've resigned myself to taking off the carpeted sides of the transmission tunnel as I only did the passenger side last time. That will teach me to be thorough and not lazy. I'll check first on ELSAWIN to see if there's anything the endoscope camera can assist with, although something tells me we'll probably always have to do it this way with those pesky orange drain plugs. Having said that, if I do find that my passenger side is still clear, the best solution in my case would be to snip just a few millimetres off from the end of the squidgy orange plug on the driver's side too.
Old 11th December 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
After having had great success with my cowl/scuttle drains recently, I was thinking of much the same thing as the windows have now started to show condensation. I've resigned myself to taking off the carpeted sides of the transmission tunnel as I only did the passenger side last time.
I usually only do the passenger side as it's a lot easier, much less trim to remove.
Old 13th December 2019, 01:37 PM

As the passenger footwell is in pieces anyway for relay box access I took the trim panel off today.
No significant water came out of the aircon drain, just a couple of drops, which is good.
I took the orange pipe out anyway as it didn't seemed to be seated properly (I was just going to blow through it) and found a few bits of debris caught, which I cleared.

Having trimmed the ends previously it was still flowing, though not perfectly until cleared.
Softened it in some hot water and pushed it back into the correct place.

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th December 2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 26th December 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
01E conversion perhaps?

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 26th December 2019, 08:02 AM

This may seem like a bit of a dunb question but if I run my air con in the summer, with the car stood and I get two nice little puddles either side of the transmission tunnel, does that indicate clear drains without having to do any work?
Old 26th December 2019, 09:25 AM

Yes, thats a good sign