A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Fuel and Exhausts

D3 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 10th February 2021, 06:44 PM

Default S8 exhaust flexi question

Alright guys
Need some advice Went to local exhaust place powerflow to get quote to remove all four silencers on stock exhaust system noticed the catalyst converter flexi on one side is blowing, garage suggested to just remove both cat flexi parts & have new stainless pipe welded as they can’t supply new flexi part in that size
So is it safe to remove the flexi parts replace with straight pipe ? Will it cause any problems at all ? Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 08:30 PM

I'll wait for someone with more knowledge and a better answer than mine, but I would imagine the flexis are there for a reason. I had one of mine blow and VRS did replace it, so they are available.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 10th February 2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
but I would imagine the flexis are there for a reason.
Absolutely agree with homer. The reason is in the name. Think how the exhaust will behave if it's effectively joined solidly to the engine at one end and almost five metres in length. I'd suggest checking another exhaust place if possible.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th February 2021, 08:53 PM

Yes exactly ^ Its there for a reason. Just removing it for convenience is not sensible.

Audi exhaust pipework is metric, which befuddles most exhaust shops in the UK since our standard pipework is imperial. For some unfathomable reason, they then defer to the next size down and hack it to fit . Why they don't go up is beyond me. 2 1/4" pipe is 57mm so fits inside the D2 S8's 60mm pipework, but 2 1/2" is 63mm so slips over the top of it nicely and doesn't cause a restriction.

Etka shows that on the D3 the connection after the cats is 60mm so I would expect the flexis in front of it are also 60mm, meaning a 63mm flexi should work just fine and not cause any restrictions.

Curiously enough, the D2 PF 4.2 5-speed and FL S8 actually do have completely solid exhaust systems with no flexis in them, but all the other FL models and the PF 4-speed do have flexis. The S8 has stiffer engine mounts though so obviously the Audi engineers decided that flexis weren't needed in that application but were in the others.
Old 10th February 2021, 11:28 PM

I’ll take that on board, just seen few universal ones on eBay will this one in photo be suitable ?

Last edited by Kazs8; 11th February 2021 at 01:45 AM.