A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

View Poll Results: Have we reached the tipping point between ICE cars and EVs yet?
Yes, bring it on! 2 15.38%
No way, José! 11 84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st June 2021, 04:24 PM

Well as they won’t allow fully ICE car sales in very few years from now, if we aren’t tipping yet, we very soon will be. Whether we like it or not!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 1st June 2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B@fink View Post
Well as they won’t allow fully ICE car sales in very few years from now, if we aren’t tipping yet, we very soon will be. Whether we like it or not!
10 beer tokens says this date gets pushed back nearer the time
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 1st June 2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
10 beer tokens says this date gets pushed back nearer the time
And the definitions will be fudged. After all don't ALL current A8s include an element of hybrid technology?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st June 2021, 09:08 PM

i have a friend quite high up in the VAG sector and he said to me
electric vehicles is definately NOT the way forward

i agree but, you never know whats next from all these doo gooders who probably dont even have a car

i like the lpg way as i dont think that will stop being made for a very long time

too many £50,000+ diesel vehicles still being sold too

plus poor people with their VW Passat,s Golf,s etc cant afford any EV and probably never will

i actually darent test drive a Tesla as i think ill be hooked
Old 2nd June 2021, 08:25 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I’m sure that in the not too distant future, car ownership will be unusual and we’ll have an app (or an implant!) that will call I up a driverless ‘car’ powered by an alternative to the ICE (hopefully I’ll be well past driving by then!). But an article in The Sunday Times a couple of days ago reckoned that people who had tried electric cars were going back to ‘proper’ cars in their droves. The main reasons were exceptionally poor infrastructure, lack of standardisation of charging connectors, poor ‘real’ range and difficulty with home charging if you live in a tower block, terrace or anywhere else without car standing/a garage. Add to that the cost (mentioned by many above) and it’s not a short term option for millions of drivers.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Demand for electricity is pushing up prices already.
I made that comment previously (maybe on here), with the end result being that it means that everyone (car or carless) will ultimately be paying the price for EV cars.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
... lack of standardisation of charging connectors...
This is one issue but I expect there is a reason for different connectors and adaptors are available I presume. I guess we are all used to just picking up a nozzle and it fitting without messing around.

I haven't looked into EOL on batteries but I hope that manufacturers aren't leaving it out and building up a huge problem for the future.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 3rd June 2021, 11:17 AM

I had an i3 and if I ever went anywhere beyond it’s at home charge range I found mostly broken or busy chargers. Range in winter dropped like an ice covered stone. Looked nice tho inside and out imho.
Read in Evo about synthetic fuel development by Porsche - could save us!

Past rides

'07 Boxster
'08 Mini Cooper S
'17 BMW i3
'04 BMW 535d
'97 Porsche 993 C2S
'72 Porsche 911 2.4S
'90ish Fiat X19
Old 3rd June 2021, 01:05 PM

Synthetic fuels might save combustion engines as playthings but at significant, possibly prohibitive, cost it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d0MPg7DxbY
Old 8th June 2021, 02:45 PM

I was talking to a mate the other day who has a mate (yeah... a mate of a mate...) who works in an energy mix think tank advisory to the federal opposition (Labor here currently, who are partly in bed with the Greens).
They estimate that if our national fleet of nearly 20 million "light vehicles" (anything under 3.5 tonnes) was to transition to total EV over the next 10-20 years, the energy required to charge them for current use patterns would be a factor of 15 above what the national grid currently generates.

Our vehicle usage habits may be above normal for places such as Europe and Asia. However, there is no doubt that it is a significant challenge for any electricity grid.

Being able to increase energy supply by that amount when we are attempting to close our dirty brown coal power stations and transition to cleaner energy (yeah... Federal govt thinks Natural Gas is clean energy... Cleaner perhaps!), they are suggesting nuclear energy, as solar/wind for the energy required is daunting in scale.

It won't be cheap. And governments (such as Victoria) are already introducing EV taxes... (Inevitable, but dumb currently).

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)