A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 29th June 2021, 07:14 PM

Default A/C weird leak

Got an odd issue to pick the collective brains of the forum on - My A/C hasn’t worked for the last 18 months;I went for a recharge and it wouldn’t hold the vacuum so have had a warm cabin ever since.

I have finally got it to my friendly master tech and he’s having difficulty finding the leak!

The system completely fails to hold the vacuum at all, no problem he thought, the leak is that bad that it should be pretty easy to hear when he pressurises the system.

But no, here’s the oddity, it holds positive pressure.

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms and where did the leak end up being?

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 29th June 2021, 08:07 PM

If he sticks some dye in there it should be easier to find. Can he pressurise it and see if it is still holding in the morning?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 30th June 2021, 04:04 PM

Default Its the compressor

Eventually found the leak by cranking up the pressure to 15bar, turns out the compressor is leaking.

So the next question is whats the difference between the different part numbers? Can I use say a 3.0 petrol compressor in my 3.0TDI? What is the actual difference between a 4e0260895AP and 4e0260895AQ

Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Old 30th June 2021, 07:37 PM

Cannot find the part numbers you referenced, depending on chassis number it should 4E0260805J or 4E0260805BA for 2004 3.0TDI and E or AG for 3L petrol, don't know what is the difference between them.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st July 2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Cannot find the part numbers you referenced, depending on chassis number it should 4E0260805J or 4E0260805BA for 2004 3.0TDI and E or AG for 3L petrol, don't know what is the difference between them.
I couldn't find them either
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 1st July 2021, 11:59 AM

They are superseded part numbers.

The sequence for the 3.0 tdi ASB is 4e0260805N-AB-AD-AJ-AP and currently BA

Its made by Denso and is a 6SEU14C compressor type (6 ribbed 100mm pulley).

The AQ model is the same compressor type and pully specs, but is from a 4.0tdi ASE engine. (and has been superseded by the BC variant).

So as they are both the same compressor type, oil capacity, pulley specs - what is the actual difference? There are loads of 6SEU14C compressors from all sorts of vehicles, even refurbs for not much money, so would these fit?

I'm wondering if the situation with compressors is akin to ride height sensors - the numerous part numbers for these are purely for the different connection arms. The sensor itself is the same across load of model & brands...maybe the bolt on bits are all different but can be transferred?

Old 1st July 2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post

Very interesting. Where did you get those part numbers as even with the latest updates on ETKA, there are no superseded versions of the compressor on any of the A8 models.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st July 2021, 01:07 PM

I have ETKA 7.4 on my laptop, though the final update is dated 2014.

After an bit of studying, I have come to a working hypothesis:

The compressor itself is standard - ie 6SEU14C, however the ports are modular and bolt on (with the input port forming part of the rear bell housing and housing the control valve) so that they can orientate both ports and valve better for the specific car. Obviously the pulleys are variable to the car and also the control valve (which has different connector options as a minimum). The size of the a/c system determines the oil fill, rather than it being an inherent requirement of the compressor.

Soooo - I think if I were to buy a new/refurb then it should be possible to swap out the relevant modular parts - with the downside being loss of guarantee and possibly never sealing again!

Old 1st July 2021, 03:28 PM

Have you considered getting it refurbished? We have a company local to us that does air con as well as alternators etc

http://www.sacweb.co.uk/airconditioning.html
Old 1st July 2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Makes more sense now you have posted the correct part number

Quote:
What is the actual difference between a 4e0260895AP and 4e0260895AQ