A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 4th August 2021, 11:53 AM

Default 2009 D3 3.0 SE wanted

Hi all,
Following the courteous actions of a drunk driver I am anticipating that I will be left seeking a replacement car in the very near future.

I know that you folks know of all of the better examples around and about and like to keep an eye on the classifieds.

Budget will be around £6k. I have loved owning mine so anticipate seeking a like for like replacement.

I believe that mine being an 09 will be just before a change over year to the d4? Are there greater gains to moving up to the newer model in peoples experiences?

Appreciate any thoughts and insights
Old 4th August 2021, 03:11 PM

2010 was changeover year and so 2009 was some of the last D3s. They do have 3GMMI and so a little more desirable, if you can find one. Haven't driven so cannot comment but I don't think you will find one in your budget
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 4th August 2021, 06:48 PM

In terms of D4, the cheapest one listed on Autotrader is £8,000. As for the D3, there are four on Autotrader for under £6,000. From the pictures, all appear to be bog standard models with no options. There is one listed at £5,995 which the ridiculous comment of 'over £30000 of optional extras', yet it has nothing. Looks like someone either changed the carpets or dyed them and is calling them 'exclusive'.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 4th August 2021, 08:52 PM

When you say 3.0 and do not mention TDI, I assume you are after petrol which are very rare so could be for a long wait for one to come up for sale

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 5th August 2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
When you say 3.0 and do not mention TDI, I assume you are after petrol which are very rare so could be for a long wait for one to come up for sale
Ah good point, could be better off looking for hen's teeth!
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 6th August 2021, 05:21 AM

isn't the 3.0 petrol a non quattro ?
Old 6th August 2021, 10:18 AM

Sorry folks, it was the tdi I owned.

This is going to be a difficult car to replace. We have yet to move to an insurance valuation but I paid £4500 for it 2 years ago and am struggling to see anything like for like (age, mileage, condition) under 5k. And i am trawling every typical avenue.

Mine was / is LWB and in a gorgeous grey / bronze in sunlight.

Most available seem to be black, few LWB and few 09 plate cars.

So, to help broaden the search - I am going to look at a local 08 in black (not LWB) and just get an eyes on feel of it. BUT -

What are the other diesel engines like? Will the 4.2 be considerably better than a mapped 3.0 or do they just risk higher running costs / reliability issues?

Which are the more desirable / harder to find options? eg sunroof, B&O

What should be standard spec eg rear camera etc?

Thanks for any pointers here folks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:06 AM

The 4.2TDI is a great engine, better than the 4.0TDI it replaced. Sport spec will have more options than a SE model. Here is a link to the brochure so you can see what was standard

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7097
Old 6th August 2021, 12:07 PM

come along to AITP this sunday you never know someone might have one for sale..
the 4.2 tdi is incredible but £600 yearly road tax (£1000 is in the pipe 5x5)

Last edited by roberto; 6th August 2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 6th August 2021, 12:48 PM

Im intrigued now... Incredible in standard tune or having potential with a map??
Does the 4.2 have known issues / failings to be aware of?
A mapped 3.0 is more than a happy compromise of places to be but am aware that the market is a little dry and limited at the moment so happy to keep options open,

Appreciate the input fellas