A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 27th June 2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Had this video pop up on my YouTube recommendations. The link is where the video gets interesting as it's leaving Brize Norton: https://youtu.be/BPu1Dj81-EE?t=149
Excellent Although hope no one got hurt.

Here's the cockpit view when they left.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXCpaV2I17E&t=510

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 27th June 2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Excellent Although hope no one got hurt.

Here's the cockpit view when they left.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXCpaV2I17E&t=510
Looks like a gentle collapse as they powered up.

Would love to see the An-225 up close. Biggest aircraft I've walked around/through was a C-17 Globemaster at Christchurch airport back in '03.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th July 2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Biggest aircraft I've walked around/through was a C-17 Globemaster at Christchurch airport back in '03.
Just had one of those (ZZ171) trundle low and noisily over us on it's presumably heavily-laden way out of Northolt.
Headed NW for a while to clear Heathrow and is now going SW along the Chilterns.
Edit: Looks like a short flight, turned NW again but is already descending near Oxford. Probably going to Brize Norton.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 10th July 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10th July 2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Probably going to Brize Norton.
Which it was, but first it did a flyby at about 2000ft along the length of the runway, then looped back over the base a bit higher up before turning again for final approach.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th July 2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Looks like a gentle collapse as they powered up.

Would love to see the An-225 up close. Biggest aircraft I've walked around/through was a C-17 Globemaster at Christchurch airport back in '03.
Got up close to a AN-124 at Belfast international a few years back - they are semi regular visitors here taking aircraft parts out for Bombarider (now Spirit Aerosystems) and Collins Aerospace.

Last flight here was to take oxygen generators out to Mumbai

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Biggest aircraft I've walked around/through was a C-17 Globemaster
Few of those busy around Kabul at the moment, mostly using a MOOSExx call sign, seem to be shuttling to/from Kuwait or UAE, avoiding Iran.
According to the BBC one left the other day with well over 800 people on board!

Last edited by HPsauce; 22nd August 2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
...mostly using a MOOSExx call sign
Came across an article a few days ago about the C-17 where they say the USAF's nickname for the C-17 is Moose, apparently because “When refueling, pressure relief vents on the aircraft make a moose call sound.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 30th September 2021, 11:53 AM

We seem to get a regular flow of cargo 747s these days heading out of Heathrow, very distinctively noisy!

Almost daily (todays has just gone over) there's a flight to Nur-Sultan; brownie points to anyone who knows, without looking online, where/what that is.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:24 PM

And tonight, just now (10:40pm) I thought "Bloody Hell! That's noisy!"
Singapore Airlines Cargo 747 outbound from LHR to Amsterdam!

I guess nobody knows (without looking it up) where Nur-Sultan is?
Old 15th October 2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:

I guess nobody knows (without looking it up) where Nur-Sultan is?
Nope. I had to look it up. Every day is a school day
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!