A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 6th August 2021, 05:53 PM

Red face Timing belt - how easy to screw up?

I think my timing belt is due/overdue. It was last changed in 2014.
The car has only done 70K km since then.

How easy is it to screw up?
I have all the locking tools so I'm tempted to try doing it myself.
Last time MRC Tuning changed it, I would like to go to them again but maybe its a bit risky? Its a long drive.
Old 6th August 2021, 06:36 PM

With the right tools I don't believe it's all that difficult - it's dealing with removal of all the bits to get to it that always puts me off (and the fear of getting it wrong!)

Are you still London-based Goran? If so try David at Camspec/DS Autowerks (merged businesses, with David aka DS taking over Camspec) in Crawley - walking/lift distance from Gatwick Airport train station to get a ride back into the Smoke.

From memory a lot of the cost is parts and the labour isn't particularly horrific.

For peace of mind I think I'd prefer someone that offers a warranty and will look at other areas while it's in bits to make sure it's all good before bolting back together to do it. MRC wouldn't be my first choice for service work - too many reports of work being paid for but not done for my liking (not personal experience, but people I know well enough that I'd think twice)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 6th August 2021, 07:03 PM

Hi Adrian, how are you?
I am still in London. Thanks for recommending Camspec.
I seem to remember the tricky bit was the belt tensioner (some spacing needs to be right?) and eccentric pulley. I always found it worrying how the cam sprockets can just rotate freely when tensioning the belt, then get pressed onto those sloping bits by the bolts. Strange design.
I haven't been to MRC for a long time. They did a huge amount work on my car they were excellent and very knowledgeable and spotted things which were about to go wrong that other people missed. I was most impressed by the gearbox work they did for me, fitting stronger shift collars and a 0.56 6th gear. And chain guide pad replacement, without removing the cams, which turned out very reasonable.

Last edited by Goran; 6th August 2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:10 PM

Pretty easy with the locking bar and a torque wrench. The INA kit should be £250-300, and I always change the thermostat (£30 ish) as a matter of course. I tend to do the water pump on mileage as that is just a bearing and seal so doesn't age like the belt does. 70K km I wouldn't bother, if it was replaced last time.

Its worth considering doing all the aux belt rollers and fan pulley bearing at the same time as they can cause a lot of noise from the front of the engine and you'll be in there anyway, although the fan pulley does need a press. I can send you an assembled bearing in return for yours when you're done though. The two trickiest jobs are getting the viscous fan loose, and getting the crank locking pin in and out.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:19 PM

Hi Mikki,

Thanks very much! I was waiting for your input. In that case I may as well have a go myself. I was really worried about getting the tensioner right, but if that's not too tricky then I hope its going to be ok. I'll just go very slowly and read the guide carefully.
Water pump was replaced last time, good to know I can leave the old one. I'll make sure I get new pulleys and eccentric idler.

I'm thinking as I'll be in there anyway, I want to go ahead and do the RS6 idler instead of the fan pulley. I already have the electric fan which you recommended.
Is one of your D2's still running with the electric fan?

Last edited by Goran; 6th August 2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:53 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Hi Mikki,

Thanks very much! I was waiting for your input.
Is one of your D2's still running with the electric fan?
Mine is!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 6th August 2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Mine is!
Hi Mike, I hope you are well.
That's great!
I'm gonna go electric too.
Old 6th August 2021, 08:37 PM

Yes my grey one is I have laser-cut mounting plates if you need one.

The tensioner for the timing belt is pretty simple. There's an eccentric pulley which sets the basic tension, and then the hydraulic damper keeps it tight. You can set it all as per the procedure and check the lever on the damper with a 5mm allen key. If its not right, lock it all up again and re-do it.

The INA kit is here: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ina/2384981

The roller on the aux belt tensioner can be replaced with one from a Hyundai Tucson 2.7 - I'm sure I've shown that before in a WITW thread, so you don't have to replace the entire unit.
Old 6th August 2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yes my grey one is I have laser-cut mounting plates if you need one.

The tensioner for the timing belt is pretty simple. There's an eccentric pulley which sets the basic tension, and then the hydraulic damper keeps it tight. You can set it all as per the procedure and check the lever on the damper with a 5mm allen key. If its not right, lock it all up again and re-do it.

The INA kit is here: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ina/2384981

The roller on the aux belt tensioner can be replaced with one from a Hyundai Tucson 2.7 - I'm sure I've shown that before in a WITW thread, so you don't have to replace the entire unit.
Thanks very much Mikki!
Yes please, can I have a laser-cut mounting plate. I'll pm you just realised I need another couple of bits.
Old 7th August 2021, 12:50 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Hi Mike, I hope you are well.
That's great!
I'm gonna go electric too.
Hi Goran,

All good here. About to set off for AITP tomorrow.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.