A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 10th February 2009, 08:34 PM

I love that the solution to most driver error induced slides and wayward behavior is to simply point the wheel in the general direction of travel desired and apply foot to carpet whilst giggling. Much less complicated to drive than a Capri or Manta and the wife doesn't notice.

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 10th February 2009, 08:52 PM

Default All of it!

It's easier for me to say what I'm not ecstatic about, as it's a short list! I would have preferred a darker interior, whilst the sports seats and 20 inch alloys can be harsh (there, I've said it!), but I wouldn't change any of it.

As everyone else here says, the understated looks, as common as hen's teeth and absolutely brilliant on the motorway and the I'm sure the car shrinks when you throw it into bends! It doesn't feel like a huge car. I was travelling back from Portsmouth to Cheshire in the early hours last week (avoiding the 3am predicted heavy snow) and I was grinning like a village idiot! Pure quality.
Also have to admit that the chav-killing abilities are addictive!

The wife tells me some young lads said "fookin' 'ell, it's an S8!" last week. That doesn't happen often though..and I like that!
Old 15th February 2009, 09:32 AM

What do I like about my '8?

The shock and surprise that it gives to anyone who sits in the passenger seat, who doesn't mind me driving it enthusiastically.

It's ability on the roads, and on the track. Did Croft a couple of years back, and shocked the cr@p out of some C2's (it's a very twisty track) who really didn't expect it to be quite so good around the corners

The power, although I want more, and the delivery of that power.

Timelessness. It's design means that it looks as good today, as it did when it was first produced. IMO, the pre-facelift has dated slightly worse, but that's down only to the design of the front lights.

The fact that you can feel better once you've had a long trip than before you got in!! I had to drive to Liverpool a few years ago, from Bath, with an ETA of 9am in Liverpool!! Felt awful when I got in, but refreshed when I got out......bizarre

There's loads I could say, and I'll probably add to this list when I've got more time

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here
Old 1st March 2009, 07:36 PM
bonez59

I have to say agree with all of the above, Ive been racing cars and Karts at world level all my life, I love thats its a massive car but feels like a small car when pushed very very hard, Impressed me first time i went down a fast twisty road.
Old 13th March 2009, 07:09 PM

Default All the above & the little things that make a big difference

Plusses
Steering wheel sculpted just so
Potential to astonish passengers and myself
Adjustable heating for the seats
Adjustable arm rests
Flip-down NS parking mirror. (Missed that since sold last beemer back in 99)
Invisible front screen heating element, & It's so fast clearing the frost
VAG keys
The sunroof switchgear
Solid, rational, understated, quality, totally competant

Niggles:
Need a change box. Need a Card holder. Where to put sunglasses???
Blanks in the dash (this one really pi**es me off)
Can't reach the radio/satnav controls (I had cars in the mid 80's with em on the column)
Irrational cruise control controls (does that make sense?)
Can't get enough of it. I have to admit that this may also be a plus

Best of all.....
The clunk of the door closing..... from inside
That glorious sound when you let those horses fly
The sheer delight of flooring it out of a loose wet gravelly junction
Old 14th March 2009, 09:23 AM
4.2TDI_Scotland

What I like:
Quality of driving - so quite, so fast, so comfortable
The Bang & Olufsen system - WOW it is amazing (when I first heard it, I thought someone was in the back of the car). The BOSE system sounds tinny after listening to the B&O.
Economy of the diesel
The way it looks - so understated, but so elegant

I could go on, but I'm away to drive it.

C Ya
Old 15th March 2009, 08:48 PM

Like:

Build quality, never been in another car with anything like the same amount of build quality.
The amount of vents.
quatto - Car just launches off no matter what the weather, I have found in my experience with the 335 (rear wheel drive) that flooring it from a standstill it wont move for about 1.5 secs as the traction control is limiting all the power, turn it off, the wheels spark up!
The way everyone goes in it loves it, little cousins in particular, I'm taking my cousin and all her mates to their school prom in it as they loved it soo much, no need for limos here.
Understated - No One, looks twice. Everyone thinks its just a normal car, once they get in though, it's another story.
The most comfortable car seats, I have ever sat in. Good job Recaro.

Dislikes:

After cleaning it all the water comes gushing out of the wing mirrors
Dealers - Most Audi dealers have Little or no knowledge about the D2. Do not understand the concept of customer service.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds

Last edited by Singh; 14th October 2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 18th March 2009, 07:05 PM

When I picked up our first A8, my 14 year old daughter snuggled into the passenger seat. She liked it!

I've never bought a car she approved of but, she liked this twelve year old Audi. Answer me why?

I've since swapped it for a later model S8. I love my new car and whenever I see it, it makes me happy.

It's powerful, light, grippy and beautiful. It has an elegant shape that the newer Audis seem to lack.

A pilots car, if ever there was one.
Old 18th March 2009, 07:40 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wallwork View Post

A pilots car, if ever there was one.
Great analogy. Not a fighter pilot, but a fighter/bomber. I can relate to that.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 18th March 2009, 08:58 PM

My three best cars have been Audis.

Had a (WR) Quattro for a year or two (at 20mpg) blew it up-fixed it-sold it-loved it. Amazing car. Laws of Physics suspended but not revoked

A8 (pre FL Dark geen/ Black leather...loved it.best 3000 I ever spent.

S8 FL A darling. No complaints. I am a petrolhead and I lovve my car. It is old. It is comfy and it looks as tough as feck.

I paid only a small quantity of money for it and it drives like it did when it was 70000 quid!

Mind you, I have a 1964 Sunbeam Tiger in the garage that would eat the Audi alive, for breakfast!

Last edited by Simon Wallwork; 18th March 2009 at 09:04 PM.