A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Driving bliss

Driving bliss Best roads? Best music? Whatever makes your 8 the best place to be, share it with us

Old 17th February 2018, 07:31 PM

Default Help! France and Northern Spain

The management and I are planning a two week driving holiday in the newly acquired A4 cabriolet, essentially we have two weeks and want to do a lot of wine exploring, so I am guessing heading down to Bordeaux for some time in France, then through the pyrenees to the Spanish side before a trek into Rioja and then after some time there a blast back up home.

I need some suggestions from people on places to stay (preferably wineries with onsite accommodation) or cool places to see/things to do. Can anyone throw out any suggestions? I've done the other side of France/Switzerland/Italy, this side below Tours/Orleans is new to me.

We are hoping to mix some camping with some luxury hotel stays so we get a good mix and some freedom to explore. The main thing is good wine/food.

Hit me
Old 4th April 2018, 10:16 AM

If you are taking a leisurely trip down, definitely stop for lunch in Honfleur on the coast.
Rouen too has some nice historical buildings and squares similar style to Honfleur, but its concentrated in a few areas, the rest of Rouen is a bit rough looking.
Stick to the coast road D940 from Calais straight through the town from the ferry, avoid motorway, lovely coastal drives to Honfleur.
If you have time Mont Saint-Michel is definitely worth a visit.

Last edited by Goran; 4th April 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 4th April 2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
If you are taking a leisurely trip down, definitely stop for lunch in Honfleur on the coast.
Rouen too has some nice historical buildings and squares similar style to Honfleur, but its concentrated in a few areas, the rest of Rouen is a bit rough looking.
Stick to the coast road D940 from Calais straight through the town from the ferry, avoid motorway, lovely coastal drives to Honfleur.
If you have time Mont Saint-Michel is definitely worth a visit.
Thanks for this, I've done Mont St. Michel, St Malo, Quiberon, the Loire valley, Reims and Colmar before so further down is all welcome tips for me!

Do you normally book before for hotels or wing it?
Old 4th April 2018, 05:47 PM

Other areas worth a visit in this part of France are Poitiers, Cognac, La Rochelle and Angouleme and their environs. We always enjoyed the 'Les Géants du Ciel' bird show at Chauvigny on the castle and there are numerous picturesque and historic towns on the Vienne and Haute Charante.
Old 12th May 2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Thanks for this, I've done Mont St. Michel, St Malo, Quiberon, the Loire valley, Reims and Colmar before so further down is all welcome tips for me!

Do you normally book before for hotels or wing it?
Sorry for late reply. I always book ahead on booking.com, usually get very good prices on there.
Old 13th May 2018, 07:22 AM

No worries buddy, we have a planned route now, we are going to wing camping accommodation with certain other stops in hotels (which we pre-booked) this is the route...

FRANCE
Nantes / HOTEL
Les-sables D’Olonne
La Rochelle
Le Verdon
Andernos-Les-Bains
Biarritz / HOTEL

SPAIN
San Sebastian
La Rioja - TBC
La Rioja - TBC
Sallient De Gallego / HOTEL

FRANCE
Carcassonne
Chinon
Clery

I also got a liber-t tag for the blast back up.

Looking forward to it.
Old 13th May 2018, 04:46 PM

Be careful of speed limits on the Peage.
French sherrifs can be bad uns.
Mind you my experience is mostly coaches, and the days of slipping them twenty cigs have gone

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)