A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st May 2021, 09:06 AM

Default Abs module difference

Hi just checking to see if you can use a different lettered part no on the abs module or do they have too be a direct match as the one in the car
Cheers
Old 1st May 2021, 09:57 AM

Looking through an old scan I did for you previously shows you have 4E0614517A on the 4.0 tdi. According to ETKA, it doesn't show any superseded versions or alternate part numbers. However, the part number given for the complete unit (pump and control unit) is 4E0614517CC. There is a reference to a 'Repair set' which is the control unit (plus a few other small bits) and the part number for that is 4E0998375A.

Unless you can identify exactly what's wrong, I can't suggest how to proceed as it's a very grey area for me.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st May 2021, 09:59 AM

If you just want to change electronic part better stick with the exact same number, if you change the whole thing including pump and then there may be several numbers that are compatible.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st May 2021, 10:18 AM

Just found your other post from yesterday mentioning the defective ABS controller. I've seen several threads on other forums (including this one) about an ABS controller fault ('014 Defective') which seemingly appears if the Output Test has been performed on the brake module without following the correct instructions.

Ross-Tech mention it on their Wiki: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00003

They provide instructions on how to reset it, but reading the other threads, even that confuses people (surprised that VCDS stops responding!). From the Wiki and one other forum post:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24668169

the full expanded sequence should be as follows:

1. Ignition ON, Start VCDS, Go into Module 03, Clear faults
2. Exit module, exit VCDS, Ignition OFF
3. Ignition ON, Start VCDS, Go into Module 03, Clear faults
4. Exit module, exit VCDS, Ignition OFF
5. Ignition ON, Start VCDS, Go into Module 03, Clear faults
6. Exit module, exit VCDS, Ignition OFF

In theory that 'should' clear the 014 fault, but not sure if that will clear the message on the dash (mentioned in your other thread) as none of the other threads I've read mention any.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st May 2021, 11:49 AM

I think you should go with the same part number, unless it is a superseded part number. There are differences, for example mine ends in BT which is very hard to find. I can only assume it has something to do with the ACC
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder