A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 23rd August 2019, 06:24 PM

Default D3 heater/ac fan problem

So, i guess as a result of lack of use my D3 heater blower has sort of stopped working.

Because the blower motor runs perfectly fine when being powered by the solar sunroof, I don't think its the motor itself.

So today I installed a replacement fan controller in the blower motor housing, and the result is still the same. Runs fine when left in the sun and engine off.

However today was really sunny and I discovered the fan is actually running with the engine on, but it's stuck in solar mode. Switching the system off and the fan still runs, disabling the solar sunroof running makes no difference and the fan continues to run.

So the blower fan is stuck in solar mode by the looks of it, is there a switching relay like on the D2?

I did having it running properly for a couple of days a few weeks back and it did work briefly this evening until I turned the climate control off and the blower would not switch back on when I turned it back on.

Manual fan speed adjustments make no difference, neither does setting Lo or Hi.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 23rd August 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:38 PM

On a D2 switchover to the solar panel driving the fan is controlled by the HVAC system; I can't recall if there's an external relay or the solar panel is just wired straight into the HVAC and it's switched inside.
(I ought to recall, I've messed with it and it is VERY simple)
I wanted my D2 solar panel to be disabled with a switch and in the end I did that by cutting it's "earth" circuit and looping it out to a switch I installed. If there had been an accessible relay I would have done something to that.
(Awaits more informed opinions...… )
As for a D3 who knows?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:58 PM

I found a current flow document on here, it details J355 as the solar operation control unit and appears to reside inside the car headlining.

Also found mention of J126 where the supply from the roof appears to plug into. It is J126 which I have replaced (I think) this in turn is connected to the climate module.

It is worth noting that I replaced the part with a used one from a newer car.

Really stumped now, I'll have no job in 5 weeks and I have this car which is eating money I cannot afford to lose.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 24th August 2019, 11:47 AM

I've hooked up VCDS and have this code regardless of which controller (old or new) is installed.

I did clear the codes, and it comes back with the other usual ones I have.

Worth pointing out the fan did run earlier with no problem.

01844 - Control Module for Fresh Air Blower (J126)
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 91
Mileage: 271398 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2003.02.27
Time: 00:10:42

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 23.0∞C
Speed: 0.0 km/h
(no units): 8.0
(no units): 169.0

Research suggests in the blower motor despite the fact it runs fine on solar, any thoughts.

I'll reassemble the car tomorrow with the original controller, and I'll have to sell it with faulty blower, i've had it with this car now. I cannot afford to fix it.

Last edited by mannyo; 24th August 2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 24th August 2019, 11:53 AM

Chances are that on solar it's a fairly direct connection to the fan, with no speed control.
In normal use it will be powered via a speed controller, so it suggests the fault is in that system "somewhere".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 24th August 2019, 12:07 PM

I've checked all the connections, and put a multimeter measuring volts and everything appears correct entering and exiting the controller. I've got ground, 12V coming in, I can see 4 volts coming into the same controller from the sunroof, its just weird and i've lost all patience and run out of money.