A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 24th October 2020, 10:24 PM

Based on my past and future projection. Car is just a tool and I never had on one on lease, always paid in full upfront.

The most I ever paid was about £3300

If I take my last 3 cars:
A8 D3 4.2TDi 11 months ongoing £2500
A6 2.5TD £2200 10years +, still going strong
S8 1997 bought 2008, for £2500, crapped 2019, got £1200 back

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th October 2020, 10:33 PM

Good residuals don't help bangernomics.... most of the reason I bought A8's, d2, d3 and d4 was they seemed a bargain against new list.

With a Tesla, by the time they get to "bargain" status they look like a more worrying investment. Clearly, if you have the cash in the bank, it beats negative interest rates!?
Old 25th October 2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post

With a Tesla, by the time they get to "bargain" status they look like a more worrying investment.
Because?....

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 25th October 2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Because?....
Because by the time they have depreciated to the same as a 2 year old ICE car, they are much older, higher miles (which may or may not affect the drivetrain, but does seem to affect the interior) and you are very much at the behest of the manufacturer for ongoing support and maintenence.... non of which really fits with bangernomics or the concept of riding a high early depreciation wave to get something "cheap"

Like I said, if you have the money to throw into a nice, new(er) car and can't use the cash more effectively elsewhere (say tesla stocks) then a low depreciation curve aligned with very low running costs is awesome in the short term!
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
No tax disc now - they are exempt from luxury road tax and I now have my smart charger set to only charge it when my octopus agile tariff is less than 4p / kwh.

For some basic maths, that makes the Tesla cost about 1.5p per mile to run.... and that's enthusiastic B road driving.... :-)
Here's a good 20 minute video on the cost aspects of EVs (from EV charging, through lease benefits, to possible future tax charging for road use), for those interested in the way this is changing:

https://youtu.be/8H6HoFMGgnk

(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:09 AM

Couple of interesting videos about Tesla batteries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFiaWvD-KI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUqQZC2dcE

I have been looking at several EVs for a couple of years looking to replace my old A6 but there is nothing that really seems good enough to buy apart from Model S . Unfortunately they are still too expensive for me at £30k+ I have looked also at Nissan Leafs which I don't really fancy but thought I could make a compromise if it made sense financially but if I look at total costs over 4-5 years I am still better off money wise getting another A4 or A6 which are nicer cars than Leaf and I can get estate and 4 wheel drive. Maybe in 5 years time if Model S drops to £10k

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 23rd January 2021, 03:00 PM

Default Another video on shift to EVs/developments - with Sandy Munro

This is also well worth a listen:

https://youtu.be/ctv1w3T0sGk

Sandy's a proper wise old auto guru, and talks a lot of sense about not only the actual products, but also the other aspects of how and why existing ICE manufacturers have been so slow to change to EVs.

Well worth a listen - you just have to get past the young interview host, who always reminds me of the guy who tried to hold up Bruce Willis in his flat in The Fifth Element ...

Last edited by tintin; 7th February 2021 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Link corrected ��
Old 6th February 2021, 10:46 PM

Biggest problem I see with Tesla is that battery doesn’t come with lifetime warranty and battery replacement isn’t cheap.

In petrol world 5k to 10k will buy you an excellent car and then annual maintenance budget of 2k will keep the car in great shape pretty much forever.
You can drive Audi for 20-30-40 years with 2k p.a. maintenance budget.

One day Teslas will depreciate to 5k to 10k mark, but when battery fails that’s the end of it. It becomes prohibitively expensive.

And that’s fundamental problem of electric cars.
Electric can’t compete with petrol in cheap segment.

Or am I wrong?
Old 7th February 2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Biggest problem I see with Tesla is that battery doesn’t come with lifetime warranty and battery replacement isn’t cheap.

In petrol world 5k to 10k will buy you an excellent car and then annual maintenance budget of 2k will keep the car in great shape pretty much forever.
You can drive Audi for 20-30-40 years with 2k p.a. maintenance budget.

One day Teslas will depreciate to 5k to 10k mark, but when battery fails that’s the end of it. It becomes prohibitively expensive.

And that’s fundamental problem of electric cars.
Electric can’t compete with petrol in cheap segment.

Or am I wrong?

Yep, you're wrong. Think of the battery in the same way as an engine: how many engines have a 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty, and can reasonably be expected to cover as much as 500k without failing? And then do some reading about how battery failure "myths" are failing to come true. Oh - and EVs are built to make battery swap out in as little as 5 minutes: try doing that with an ICE car

But if you want to buy a cheap car with an engine that'll fail before a Tesla battery does, then go ahead.

PS: there will be a new 25k Tesla next year, so in a few years you'll get your "cheap segment" EV. It was never Musk's strategy to start with cheap cars, but he's getting there (read this: https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux , if you haven't already seen it...)

Old 7th February 2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
This is also well worth a listen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55660362

Links seems to be about Covid back pain ??

Last edited by David's8; 7th February 2021 at 09:18 AM.