A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 25th November 2016, 07:07 PM

Default Another strange job

One of my friends owns a coach holiday company.
Two weeks back he climbed on a rubbish bin to repair a roll up shutter and promptly fell off. The bin survived rather well, my mate broke his leg. He landed up in hospital for over a week waiting for an operation that was postponed twice. He is back home now but is unable to drive.
Monday and Tuesday this week he had a job booked and yours truly came to the rescue. Spent the time ferrying French and Italian folk about Manchester including the back streets of the town centre. Monday evening I had to show them, amongst other things, the Chinese Gate which appeared on tonights news due to the fatal fire earlier today. For those who do not know this area I can assure you that trolling a 12 mtr three axle coach through the tight streets is not easy. Managed OK without damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161122_085951[1].jpg
Views:	278
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	15169  

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 25th November 2016, 08:14 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I know the area very well. Hadn't heard about the fire!

I don't know how you do it Ray. I don't like driving through Manchester in a car, let alone a leviathan such as that. I avoid the city centre if I can. In fact, somewhat ironically, I think the last time I drove into Manchester was probably to the coach station near Chinatown. Must've been nearly 10 years ago because I'd driven there to meet Lyn on one of her travels up north just before she moved up here to live.

I suppose at least in a coach you're more visible and pedestrians and other road users are more likely to get out of your way!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 26th November 2016, 05:27 AM

National Express Coach Station on Chorlton Street.
Surprisingley there are quite a few pedestrians and motorists who don't see a bloodie big bus coming at them.
The problem with "big uns" is the overhang. Sat in the driver's seat on ful lock you move sideways 'cos the steering wheels are behind you. Then you have to remember that the rear overhang is greater than the front so the back end also moves sideways but in the opposite direction, especially when in a tri-axle with the rear set of wheels also steering.
Then a bendy truck is a diferent experience!!!!!

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 26th November 2016, 06:48 AM

Well done that man!

I used to drive a delivery truck through London, so I know just how difficult it is to navigate tight city streets in anything larger than a city car.

2008 Audi S8
Old 26th November 2016, 08:22 AM

I've not driven a tri-axle but used to drive National Express. St Ives was a tight spot having to reverse into it from the high street, being careful not to touch the walls all around!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 26th November 2016, 05:42 PM

National Express days.
Used to have a few of them.
We used to do Rochdale to Bournemouth via Bristol Rapide on alternate days with Yelloways. We did it our way, two drivers and a hostess all the way and stay overnight in Bournemouth
Another was Liverpool to Victoria Rapide daily return 7 days a week.
We also used to single man a daily Southport to Southsea, return next day.
Would not like to do any of them nowadays, too much traffic.

For tight reversing, try backing onto the ferry at Sheerness during a storm. Or reversing onto the rail ferry at Folkestone, doesn't run now. Showing my age again.
Just thought about the hovercraft Dover to Calais, but we could only take Duple Ford coaches because of height restrictions.

Last edited by tc4332; 26th November 2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 27th November 2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
National Express days.
Used to have a few of them.
We used to do Rochdale to Bournemouth via Bristol Rapide on alternate days with Yelloways. We did it our way, two drivers and a hostess all the way and stay overnight in Bournemouth
Another was Liverpool to Victoria Rapide daily return 7 days a week.
We also used to single man a daily Southport to Southsea, return next day.
Would not like to do any of them nowadays, too much traffic.

For tight reversing, try backing onto the ferry at Sheerness during a storm. Or reversing onto the rail ferry at Folkestone, doesn't run now. Showing my age again.
Just thought about the hovercraft Dover to Calais, but we could only take Duple Ford coaches because of height restrictions.
Was that the Charabanc days?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 27th November 2016, 11:15 AM

More memories evoked. Weekdays a coal wagon, weekend swap the body to a charabanc.
Twas actually Boadiceas chariot days, had to sharpen the wheel blades as part of morning maintenance.