A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 19th January 2019, 04:36 PM

Still working with FLM though.
Wouldn't you be better looking or waiting for a good quality SLA printer as the results can be chalk and cheese I believe?

With mine, watched a video on setting the bed up better (not using paper) and been printing today and so far so good - found that having the bed at 70 and not 60 for PLA seems to work a lot better (so far).

But, the printer is still printing so will not know how good the parts are until then although they stuck better to the bed this time......

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 19th January 2019, 04:51 PM

Creality do an SLA printer. Can't remember how much it is but <£1000. Not quite in the reach of oiks like me yet.

I measured the bed of mine with a thermocouple the other day. With the bed at 80, the surface read 56! Now the thermocouple might have lost a bit in the transfer, but that's still a big difference. I need to get an infrared thermometer instead and see what that says. It makes sense though - glass is a rubbish heat transfer medium, especially when there is an air gap. I was wondering the other day why no one seems to use thermal transfer compounds on the bed. Might be interesting to try some heatsink compound once I have an infrared doodad and see what effect it has.
Old 20th January 2019, 01:13 AM

Not checked the 'real' temp but reckon it ain't far off
Hopefully have enough filament left to finish off what I am printing.

The ninjaflex arrived yesterday so will give that a go - hopefully will work OK.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 20th January 2019, 06:51 PM

So - tried the ninjaflex filament and almost there.
My wife came home and opened a window then the filament got snagged (I was gone for 30 seconds...) so I ended up with this - was printing a basic phone case for my phone:

And left the bed looking like this:

Should hopefully come off as will get some isopropyl alcohol tomorrow.
At least the filament went though with no issues.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 20th January 2019, 07:15 PM

Well that's considerably more success than I had with it! Maybe I'll have another go
Old 20th January 2019, 08:03 PM

Just checked the Ninjaflex site and I had the bed a bit too hot, another few degrees on the nozzle but cut the speed back by around 50% from 40mm per sec to 20mm per sec.
Will have another go tomorrow.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 22nd January 2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
At that point why not build yourself a new printer?

but then I have a sanity check and realise the CR-10 will never overcome it's limitation of moving a big heavy bed around so there is (IMO) marginal scope to improve it.

A CoreXY design like the Hypercube or HyperCube Evolution is superior in pretty much every way to the CR-10 and can be built for about the same price (notwithstanding a Duet board). Until of course you start looking for best-of-breed everything

Do that Duet some justice and put it on a printer than can keep up with it

My Hypercube frame arrives on the 30th of Jan so the CR-10 is printing parts in preparation. I'm going to run it on a cheap MKS Gen 1.4 to get it running and then either upgrade it to a Duet / Lerdge, or build an Evo and put a Duet on that.

Voron is another open source CoreXY which is worth looking in to btw.

Oh Dear, MJ, you have started something now.
Craig and I are having pipe dreams.
The poor old CR10 is falling by the wayside. Anyone fancy buying a CR10 when we have finished printing the parts we need?
Shopping lists are being drawn up and I will update you.

It's the "best-of-breed everything" that is getting to me.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 22nd January 2019, 01:33 PM

Well, it is an Audi A8 forum. If we weren't obsessive about 'best of breed everything' we'd be on a Ford forum

I'm keeping my CR-10 once the Hypercube is built because a: its unrecognisable as a CR-10 now anyway, b: its good for large things and prototyping, and c: if one printer is good, more must be better

You should make a build thread for it. I'm very interested to see what you come up with

Oh, I bought my Hypercube frame from Rat Rig btw. Sensible prices for hardware kits if you are happy building a standard size machine (original or evo, and others), or they do custom lengths of extrusion if you want to do something different. Shipping is by pack mule it seems though - I ordered on the 12th Jan and its arriving on the 30th. I wanted black extrusion though which is harder to get than silver, which is plentiful on ebay and Amazon. I'm not keen on buying from Aliexpress since stuff takes forever to arrive and is taxable.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 22nd January 2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:56 PM

Nice update MJ.
We are basing our ideas on the Evolution but want to increase the height to allow for a larger extruder/hot end and we plan on a Piezo for levelling.
We might buy long length of extrusion and cut to length ourselves. We'll consider the prices and see what results.
My trouble is having my fingers in too many pies. The trams are taking a lot of thought just now. I want them to drive automatically, which is not as easy as it first seems. Thinking I'll have to play with proximity detectors which are normally surface mounts with the connections underneath. Will have to build a soldering oven!!!

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:18 PM

Ratrig do have options for different height Hevo kits if you want to go that way. I've found cutting it nicely is very difficult by hand. When I modified my CR-10 I ended up throwing the short bits in the mill to get the ends straight

If I build a Hevo it'll be a big flat one - probably 500x500x250 so it can make manual footrests and foglight grilles. If I need height I still have the CR-10, and then for small complicated stuff I'll have the 220x220x200 Hypercube