A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 24th May 2023, 03:16 PM

Default android auto/car play

Anyone installed any kit to add carplay or android auto to our mmi?

I've seen various kits floating about but wondered if anyone had actually done it?
1990 2.3 20v 7a Coupe Quattro

**SOLD** 1996 2.6 v6 cabriolet, Isis red metallic
**DEAD ** 2009 D3, 3.0tdi sport, black

Had a few Audis over the years, mostly early stuff, newest was a D3 prior to my D4, nothing much kept me smitten with other marques so I floated about a bit from one thing to another until that four ring lure caught hold

Old 25th July 2023, 03:49 PM

Yeah I fitted an eWaying CarPlay kit designed for the A8 about 2 years ago.

Finally removed the damn thing over the weekend.

Over on the AudiWord forum some owners have used the RSENav unit to some degree of success and the WAKAA unit also but it seems to me they are all based around the same box as the eWaying I had.

Support from eWaying was completely non-existent resulting in no replies to multiple requests for a firmware upgrade over the last two years in the hope of fixing some of the issues I had;

-----snip-----
Can you please, please respond to this email?

I’ve emailed you;

4th August 2021 – no reply

3rd October 2021 – no reply

1st August 2022 – you finally replied, 18th August 2022, apologised for late reply and asked my what my order number was

22nd August 2022 – I sent the order number and supporting documentation but you never replied.

8th February 2023 – I’m emailing you again asking for support

That’s 18 months just to get this far and I’m still waiting for you to support your product that has never worked properly!

Can you please, please send me the latest firmware upgrade for my eWaying Wireless CarPlay.
-----snip-----

eWaying give Chinese companies a bad name and that's saying something.

So glad to get my car back to normal where everything just works although I do miss Google Maps SatNav since Audi took that and Street View away some time ago.

Also the ability to have the system read texts & messages and reply using just your voice without touching anything was really useful but I have to say on balance the car is far better now without the clunky Chinese junk installed.

Of course YMMV but if you do go for it the hardest part by far is trying to get the 5F unit back into the dash with the Quadlock splitter connected.

Putting it back in after removing the CarPlay unit was a revelation and will allow me to sleep again at night...

-=Glyn=-

Last edited by GlynH; 25th July 2023 at 06:12 PM.