A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 5th March 2017, 11:31 AM

As far as I know ( and frankly that's not a great deal) there are sensors in the roof lining which pick up ambient noise (road tyre etc) and the system then plays another noise through the speakers to negate the noise picked up by the sensors . None of which is then heard to the human ear
Strangely the V8d didn't have this fitted so it's new to me and I have to say it works the car is silent (until you provoke the beastie beneath the bonnet )
I had a go in an I8 B*W the other day which plays the noise of a decent engine through the speakers when you boot it as the one fitted sounds poor.....quite a different approach
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012

Last edited by Glync; 5th March 2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 5th March 2017, 12:43 PM

Of course, it goes without saying, I AM NOT JEALOUS!!!!

Seriously, nice one, hope she proves to make you consistently happy.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 5th March 2017, 02:18 PM

Fabulous. Now stoppit, I'm being tempted
Your noise cancelling creates a wave opposite to the sound it is cancelling. Your ears will in fact receive double the energy that they would without the noise cancellation. Which could be a worry with hearing loss, but I'm guessing the engineers know what they are doing and keep the thresholds down.
Have you compared it, noise cancellation on/off. And, are the headlights good
Old 5th March 2017, 02:34 PM

Looks fantastic

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 5th March 2017, 02:57 PM

What a lovely car, congratulations!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 5th March 2017, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words all, almost cant wait to go to work

I am not sure if you can turn off the noise cancelling thing tbh will have a look in the options, the car is definitely quieter with it though, that said the last one wasn't noisy. Most of the noise is from the road and tyres this has Goodyears fitted which I have had before and never found them to be a quiet tyre despite that they are supposed to be. The last 8 had Pirellis which often set off harmonics of their own on certain surfaces, but I guess 20" wheel and tyres are always going to have that compromise.

What I do find amazing though is when you pull up at the lights or a junction and you cannot tell the engine is running, and no, before anyone says it, I turn off the irritating stop start

Headlights are first class, I had them in the previous motor, Matrix Leds and I know some folks don't like them but I love them. Imho they are streets ahead of the previous designs. Makes you want to drive in the dark watching them work is amazing in itself. The intensity of the light is superb and I never once got flashed by oncoming traffic in the last motor, the system reacts very quickly and darkens the section it needs to, leaving increased light in other areas like up the kerbside. I also find the useful on motorways and dual carriageways they are a great step forward.

I was after a Daytona Grey one as they just seem to stay cleaner longer but now I have the black one I must say it does look superb and a lovely deep shine and reflection even before I get stuck into it. I was considering getting a quote from a detailer on the application of one of these ceramic coatings has anyone any experience of this. I have read stories of folks doing it themselves and making a right mess which has put me off trying

One other quick question, I am going to hardwire my traffic camera, previously I ran this from a power socket in the last car. The fuse box on the near side dash has some spare slots. These always appear to be constantly live but I did read on another forum on another Audi model this power is switched off after around 20 mins of the car being idle. Is that correct ? If no one knows I will do a test lead and check tomorrow as I would like to have the wiring neat and tidy.

I will update as I get a few more miles on the clock, and no doubt get to know the girl at the local BP filling station on first name terms
Old 5th March 2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glync View Post

BP filling station on first name terms
Only V Power or Momentum for such a car surely

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 6th March 2017, 03:02 AM

2002 D2 S8 Misano Red
1996 Volvo 850R Estate Red
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG (taxi)
1991 Lotus Carlton Imperial Green
Old 6th March 2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Only V Power or Momentum for such a car surely
Yes I already search out the better fuels for the old TVR she likes slurping on good liquer too
Shame they don't still give wine glasses or green shield stamps i could get something back ! Not even the football coins these days remember those ?
Cheers
Glyn
Old 6th March 2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glync View Post
Shame they don't still give wine glasses or green shield stamps i could get something back ! Not even the football coins these days remember those ?
Those (Esso?) wine glasses were totally indestructible, we used to use them for visiting youth for soft drinks and I think the last one has only just been binned!

BUT even worse, we were clearing out the Pre-Cambrian layers of a cupboard and I found a pile of large coloured "art prints". The typical popular subjects - Hay Wain, When Did You Last See Your Father etc. They were in a plastic envelope that said you got one with every 4 gallons you purchased, but oddly no indication of which brand.
Probably something my father-in-law collected, I have no recollection of them whatsoever.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!