A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 25th August 2015, 08:12 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Brighter rear indicator bulb

As some of you may know, my rear lights are 'all red', the indicator section having had some kind of tint applied, rather than the US type of light unit fitted.

This is all well and good, but the indicator flashes a very dark orange (well, actually, red) and this can upset the occasional MOT tester and be, perhaps, a little less obvious to drivers behind me.

I have spent countless hours and hard-earned cash on all sorts of LED bulbs, but none (not even Cree ones) is really bright enough, although amber bulbs do show through as amber.

What I think I really need, is a normal incandescent bulb, preferably in amber, but with a higher wattage.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-AMBER-C...item1e8bc67f8a but with more than 21W.

Does anyone know if such a bulb exists?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th August 2015, 08:26 AM

You thought about just buying the whole outer light unit? They're only £30-£40 a side
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 25th August 2015, 08:46 AM

I have a 'standard' set, but I like the look of the 'all red' rear light clusters.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th August 2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
I have a 'standard' set, but I like the look of the 'all red' rear light clusters.
Bloody boy racers

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:09 AM

I could't solve this problem and with heavy heart I 'downgraded' from the proper US rear clusters back to the European ones. The US clusters are well packed until the solution is found.

US clusters need extremely bright green colour leds/bulbs to deliver satisfactory amber, but I couldn't find the bright enough ones.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I could't solve this problem and with heavy heart I 'downgraded' from the proper US rear clusters back to the European ones. The US clusters are well packed until the solution is found.

US clusters need extremely bright green colour leds/bulbs to deliver satisfactory amber, but I couldn't find the bright enough ones.
Now I'm really depressed if you've given up Sergey!

I found that the green LEDs showed green through my lenses and the amber ones showed amber. But they just aren't bright enough and I now have dozens of useless LED bulbs!
Old 25th August 2015, 10:21 AM

Yes, it is all about brightness. For genuine US lenses you need ultra bright green.
Old 25th August 2015, 10:59 AM

Try 1156 halogens.
e.g.
http://www.goodmart.com/products/eik...-h1156-bp2.htm
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1156-bulb-halogen
but I accept no responsibilty for melting!
Old 25th August 2015, 11:17 AM

How about these? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-x-P...413576028.html Have not tried myself and they are not cheap so could be just another set that's not bright enough but stated 800lm is probably as bright as it will get.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 25th August 2015, 11:43 AM

I need amber ones, and the only one I can find is this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nokya-1156...item25ac4a3fc2

But it's only 27Watt and, at £22 per bulb, plus import taxes, I'm not convinced.