A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 29th March 2015, 03:58 PM

Default £15 1080P Dash Cam

I read a similar post here that prompted me to fit one of these

For £15 for a 1080p HD camera I am impressed...

Fitted yesterday. Just with 15mm of cable visible. Fitted to the left and rear of the mirror (at the bottom of the tint band). Instructions were Chinese and 'English'. Although I would say translated English but good enough to work your way through.

Image quality is good but I have not yet used it in the dark. I will post some day and night clips here soon.

No screen included on these and no Micro SD card either but it does come with a phono type (yellow) video output which you will need to set up the time and date (once you also change the default language to English). No power adapter either but plenty of cable to get to either fuse boxes. I took mine to the passenger side fuse box and had no issues finding a permanent and ignition switched live. I had read here that finding a ignition switched live was not so easy (staying hot after ignition off) but I had no such issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2714.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	10405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2716.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	10406  
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 29th March 2015, 05:33 PM

Nice. I'm tempted at that price!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 11th April 2015, 09:27 AM

Any pictures of your install? I'd be interested to see what it looks like.
2007 Audi S8, with Rear Seat Entertainment, Quad Zone Climate, DAB/DVB and electric blinds. ** sold **
Old 11th April 2015, 12:17 PM

I decided to go expensive and purchased the Road Hawk camera, came with an SD card but I have replaced that with a 128GB SD card.
It only needs an ignition switched feed so I took that from the front roof light electrics. I have also fitted a remote pushbutton on the dash that acts as an events button, because to reach for the camera and press the built in event button takes too long. The camera has an extra socket in parallel with the event button for this.
I have located the camera in the same position.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th May 2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
I read a similar post here that prompted me to fit one of these

For £15 for a 1080p HD camera I am impressed...

Fitted yesterday. Just with 15mm of cable visible. Fitted to the left and rear of the mirror (at the bottom of the tint band). Instructions were Chinese and 'English'. Although I would say translated English but good enough to work your way through.

Image quality is good but I have not yet used it in the dark. I will post some day and night clips here soon.

No screen included on these and no Micro SD card either but it does come with a phono type (yellow) video output which you will need to set up the time and date (once you also change the default language to English). No power adapter either but plenty of cable to get to either fuse boxes. I took mine to the passenger side fuse box and had no issues finding a permanent and ignition switched live. I had read here that finding a ignition switched live was not so easy (staying hot after ignition off) but I had no such issues.
Hi there.

I've just ordered one of these, can I ask which fuse you took switched live from? And if you used an adaptor to tap into the fuse box? I know I've seen a right angled fuse adaptor, but for the life of me I cannot find it...

Thanks. John.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 15th May 2015, 02:09 PM

I used the near side fuse box. Position 39 (door control unit) for switched live and position 33 (Left rear footwell heater) for permanent live. I recall there was no shortage of switched lives (going cold as soon as ignition was switched off).

The instructions with the cemera try advise (half English) on the wire colours for both. I found them to be the opposite of what the instructions indicated. Hence it was not recalling the date and time settings until I switched them around.

I used 2 right angled double fuse "Autoleads BSFDUAL Blade Spur Fuse Dual". Example here
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Old 15th May 2015, 02:14 PM

Excellent. Thanks. Ordered one. I only want switchable live right? Don't want it on draining the battery when I'm not in car. Oh bugger I realise I need two now.

D'oh!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Last edited by Johnmed; 15th May 2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 15th May 2015, 02:19 PM

And here is an example.

Note the time and date is only wrong because I disconnected the battery and forgot to go back and set it...
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 PO13 UXM 3.mp4 (5.16 MB, 342 views)

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Old 15th May 2015, 02:25 PM

It switches on and off when you turn the ignition but you need a permanent live just to run the clock and the date memory.

I have recently fitted 3 of these for family members. My only negative comment would be that the image at night is not the best. It is not a total disaster - just not great.

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Old 15th May 2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
It switches on and off when you turn the ignition but you need a permanent live just to run the clock and the date memory.

I have recently fitted 3 of these for family members. My only negative comment would be that the image at night is not the best. It is not a total disaster - just not great.
That's fine. Just want a cheap and cheerful install. Nothing major.

Without a constant live it will still power on and record I take it? Not too fussed about time and date TBH

2007 Mini Cooper S R56