A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 30th April 2020, 10:20 AM

Default Okay, so something new on the D2!

Okay, so I do have an oil leak somewhere that's wafting a bit of smoke out of the drivers side front arch, just a bit. And this last week I have something new!

When I make a turn, left or right (unless it's about 2 mph!), this warning light comes up with no other lights illuminated and makes a right racket for between 5 and 30 seconds then just goes off on it's own?? It is much more likely to start squealing if the turn involves a slight change of gradient either up or down or a touch of adverse camber?

I really need to find a local garage but sadly I am yet to find one that's open on the island. There must be one!

Stay safe everyone and any speculation, idle or otherwise, to help me in my quest is welcome!

Edit - Why do all my photos show on the squonk??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200428_104404.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	23199  

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.

Last edited by Davey Blueeyes; 30th April 2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 30th April 2020, 11:27 AM

Brake fluid level - it probably needs topping up a little, although that then raises the mystery of where it has gone...
Old 30th April 2020, 12:07 PM

Could be well related. Brake fluid leaks out and gets on something hot - either brakes themselves hot or maybe wind blows it on exhaust etc.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 30th April 2020, 09:56 PM

Thanks MJ and ainars. I've not had a decent chance to look around it but I'm off now for three days with my son, I've never been so busy!

Brake fluid sounds plausible, as you say MJ I wonder where it's coming out if so??

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 1st May 2020, 08:40 AM

I had the same symptoms - sharp turns or acceleration brought the warning light on. The level sensor is in the front of the reservoir i believe so any thing which throws the level off centre when its near the minimum level will cause the alarm to light up and then be ok when on the straight and level. As MJ says, where's it gone to is the key question? Mine was leaking from the handbrake actuation lever on the rear o/s caliper but it could be just about anywhere in your case I guess.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:42 AM

Depending on when you last checked the level, could just be well worn pads.... ever the optimist
Old 1st May 2020, 10:54 AM

It could well be that simple
Old 4th May 2020, 12:44 PM

Yep, fluid was a little on the low side! I'll get some today if I can find somewhere open! I know Halfords is but I'm allergic to them!

Thanks all, hopefully this will sort it. I'm checking the oil with every fill up as it loves a drop of that! When we are back to normal I can get it in for a proper check over as see if she can get better at fluid retention!

Thanks all, stay safe, much love

Edit - hooray! Pic is around the correct way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200501_112009.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	23249  

Old 4th May 2020, 03:44 PM

That fluid looks very dark and greenish and a lot of dirt on top part of reservoir. It's probably not been changed for ages. The green colour comes from additive which turns green from water so it looks like it has absorbed fair amount of water from air moisture and boiling temperature has been decreased. I would be looking to change fluid soon, it's supposed to be changed every 2 years regardless of mileage.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure