A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 31st May 2020, 08:02 AM

Thats crusty but not the worst. It may be saveable using my (still untested) new method so don't get rid of the old pipes. I'll get the Spectrum ones packed up today.

Its possible on the driveway but it is messy. The hardest part is actually the clamp in the n/s wheel arch so if you have the suspension off thats a good start. The two banjo connections to the rack can be done from the o/s wheel arch and will dribble oil as soon as they are disconnected. I would suggest some cardboard on the floor to catch the escaping fluid, and some carb cleaner / degreaser spray to clean up the chassis leg afterwards. Renew the banjo seals of course.

There's an M8 bolt holding the pipes to the rack a few inches in from the n/s. I would normally get to this from under the chassis leg with the car on the lift, but it should be possible to do it from the wheel arch.

You can take the pipes out from the wheel arch once they are disconnected as there is just enough flex in the pressure hose to get it out without bending the rusty hardline. Oil will go everywhere although some paper towel stuffed in the banjos slows it down. Because of the liner in the pressure hose they will dribble for weeks, even when you think they are empty. Lots of cardboard needed on the floor, although naptha-based brake cleaner does clean it out of concrete reasonably well.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 31st May 2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 31st May 2020, 08:35 AM

Thanks for that MJ. It's a little disappointing because I was just about to put the car back together after working on all 4 corners. I've not driven it since November and was looking forward to getting her back on the road for the beginning of next month.

I'll need to give it some thought. She's booked in for a 4 wheel alignment and an Mot next week so I could just potentially ask them to do the hoses. It's not something I usually do as I do most of my own repairs, and enjoy doing so. I'll give it a think.

It does make sense to have a go through as I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment and the car is not being used.

Cheers Frank
Old 31st May 2020, 11:47 AM

Good luck which ever route you take Frank.
My car is still sat SORN’d while I sort a couple of my other projects. My transmission is leaking so I’m going to tackle the hoses once I put the engine and box out..

By coincidence I had to question the fittings on the hose to the oil filter on my Cerbera. It was original but looked like a union or adapter was missing - it simply looked wrong from an engineering perspective. Took the bits to the local hydraulic place and it seems it’s all correct.

Hope you’re back on the road soon! And hope I’m sending my PAS pipes off soon for refurb.

Cheers
Brian
Old 31st May 2020, 01:53 PM

Don't rush into sending any hoses to Spectrum Brian until we have proven that these work. Given Neil's reassurance about the fittings, I personally am confident enough to give them a try. What I am more concerned about is the internal liner part of the construction. If he hasn't got that right then I suspect there will be problems. He has confirmed that it is back in there but I am struggling to see how he would have secured it in place. The only sure fire way is for someone to fit them and test them. That's not really something anyone who has to pay for them fitting is going to want to do. If they don't work you will then have to pay again for them to be replaced, and with what? It's a tricky situation.

I personally have a few options here and at the moment I'm still mulling over which way to go.

1. Leave well alone as I don't have any leaks and everything is working OK at the moment.

2. Try the new hoses whilst I have plenty of time on my hands and don't really need to run the car. My main reluctance with this is working on my drive and the mess.

3. If I take the car to my local independent to get the pipes fit, what do I do if there are problems? I would need a backup plan and be prepared to pay for the job twice.

4. Buy a genuine set from Audi Tradition via a third party but you'd be looking at nearly £1000 for the full set landed in the UK.

It's a real problem that we will all have to deal with at some point as the cars get older.

We need a DIY'r willing to test the hoses at minimum cost to themselves and who can put there car back to "as was" if they don't work out.

It's not a small ask. Unless we have someone out there who's car is off the road because of knackered hoses and who can DIY the job.

I'd be willing to donate the hoses as long as they'd be willing to feed back to the forum.

Stay safe
Cheers Frank
Old 1st June 2020, 11:25 PM

This was the go to shop here in the States unfortunately they went out of business. If you follow the other link that was posted there are 2 other companies that were recommended by the shop that went out of business.
Old 1st December 2020, 10:14 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

My S8 has just failed it’s MOT on the power steering pipes.

The testing station reckon it’s an engine out job, but they can’t get the pipes anyway!

Any thoughts?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st December 2020, 10:22 AM

Not good news Jim. They're a real problem as MJ and others have discussed on here. The re-manufactured ones havent yet been proved (unless MJ/others have managed to progress this?) Mine were replaced when down at MJs early this year but pipes in good condition are a bit scarce. Not much help i'm afraid.....
Old 1st December 2020, 11:08 AM

Are they actually leaking Jim or just rusty? I thought they were ok when we did the major service?

I have a solution now which I can do on exchange. Its a fiddly job but not engine out.
Old 1st December 2020, 11:15 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

MJ, you are a saint!

No, they’re not leaking, ‘just’ corroded. Let me know how the exchange works as I doubt swapping them is within my pay grade and I can’t park the car off road. Would pipes from prestige do for the exchange?

Or perhaps an earlier than planned visit to Devon might be on the cards if you can fit the subframe work in as well?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st December 2020, 12:49 PM

I'm not convinced corroded PS pipes is a fail - I can't see anything in the MoT manual for that, although we may need Adrian to comment further. It sounds like they fancy some extra cash for xmas. I see the MoT is still valid at the moment - was this a pre-test or an actual test with a fail notice? Afaik an early fail is still a fail so overrides the current MoT.

It would be a pretty advanced DIY job as there's quite a lot of stuff in the way (see the Tree Find thread) although can easily be done in a few hours if one is familiar with the job.

If you had a suitably trusted garage (ie not the MoT tester) to do the work, I'd send you a set of pipes to have fitted, and then you just send me the old ones back afterwards, and I can write some notes on how to swap them. If you don't, then a day trip to Devon may be prudent. I'm not ready for the subframe unfortunately as I still need to source and test the Polish rear bush kit which Ronin found recently.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 1st December 2020 at 12:52 PM.