A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th November 2013, 08:57 PM

Default Suspension clunk sound, help needed

Hi all, one other issue I'm experiencing of late with the 8... I have a sound coming from the driver (left) front suspension on the car. It's most apparent at lower speeds and sounds much like what one would expect with bad swaybar links. I have replaced the upper arms within the last three months, replaced the front lower arm's bushing, and rebuilt my upper strut mount (air suspension). I checked the new arms and they're fine, swaybar links seem fine, lower arms seem ok except for a small rip in the rear arm's balljoint boot. New outer tie rod as well, though the inner is original.

I found a discussion on Quattroworld detailing a preload adjustment on the steering rack and attempted to do that as I have a click when turning the wheel as well, but it was simply not turnable, either due to rust or already being tightened.

I travel home for fall holiday in three weeks and would like to make the repairs to end this noise then, so I'm reaching out to you all now for thoughts.
Old 5th November 2013, 01:20 PM

I had a strange noise which I thought were drop links ,but turned out to be inner cv joint on its way out
Old 5th November 2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboblob View Post
I had a strange noise which I thought were drop links ,but turned out to be inner cv joint on its way out
Interesting. That would seem plausible, axles are original and driving lowered does put added stress on the joints.
Old 12th November 2013, 08:57 PM

Well, as the weather has cooled the noise has gotten more extreme, and when turning the steering a sound is quite audible. I'm guessing preload or inner tie rod on drivers side. I was unable to tighten the preload before, perhaps it's just seized?