A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 1st August 2011, 12:11 PM

Default Abs problem

Hi All, thought I would share this problem with you all just in case it happens to you. Basically I have a PF D2, with the ABS light coming on intermittently and when the light was not on when coming to a stop say about 10-20 mph the abs would activate making a groaning noise on light brake pedal pressure. Ran a diagnostic check and it came up LH front ABS intermittent fault, so removed the sensor and noticed a slight scrape mark on the tip so I stripped down the offending side to remove the outer CV joint from the hub and found a build up of rust which had compacted into the ABS ring, cleaned up the abs ring and around the hub area and reassembled. Took it for a test drive and no fault now done over 500 miles and the fault has not reappeared. As a note spoke to a mechanic friend who said the ABS rings are also prone to fracturing causing the same problem. Hope this helps anyone with an ABS fault, saved me the cost of an ABS sensor. Alun