A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 6th October 2016, 09:59 AM

OK, no thoughts, negative or otherwise re the rib, so I'm going ahead with the central position; started marking out this morning.
As I have a spare backing plate I'm not worried about minor errors, though hope there will be none! Intend to use the spare and keep the original to revert if the camera is ever removed.

A couple of observations:
1. My 4-rings badge isn't central! Maybe a couple of mm left of centre. Coupled with the odd extra badge (4.2 now removed) found when I bought it and the slightly misaligned S8 badge suggests repair work or at least a respray?
But with all the trim off I see no evidence of that.
2. Decided rubber well nuts will be good for securing the camera as well, so looked at buying some more. Need M3 bolts to go through the mounting slots and ideally a shorter type than the 25/30mm version I used on the light.
Oddly, of all the combinations available the M3 type only come in that single longer length, but it will do OK so ordered a small pack complete with bolts.

I'll hold off on cutting holes until the well nuts arrive, I don't have enough at present.

The photo shows where it will be fixed, not quite taken square so the offset of the 4-ring badge is exaggerated a bit.
The larger circle (12mm min) will be cut out to feed the cable and plugs through with a smaller cut-out at the edge where the cable will sit when fitted (also allows a plug to pass a cable during fitting).
There's a single 3mm dia cable leaving the camera and a junction unit (max 12mm dia) about 500mm along then two 3mm cables (power and video) each with a 12mm dia connector on the end.
The slots are the holes for fixing screws, they will need 8mm holes behind for the rubber well nuts. The slots themselves are about 8mm long.
You can also see the location of the top centre fixing for the backing plate (just above the numberplate), conveniently slightly offset to the nearside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FourRings.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	14526  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 6th October 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 8th October 2016, 06:49 PM

I'm thinking to remove camera from my left side lens and install a new one in exactly the same location. But I wanted to find Audi OEM camera with a footprint that will fit that area. Following this thread with interest.
Old 10th October 2016, 02:21 PM

So the rubber well nuts have arrived, but are slightly longer/fatter than the ones I had. Just need to ponder that to be sure they're OK for the job.....
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th October 2016, 03:18 PM

A little spare time today, a little progress. Drilled the holes, fed the cables through, inserted rubber well nuts and have a "first fit".
Not waterproof yet, I have a small piece of rubber to fit as a diaphragm then maybe add a bit of sealant too around the cable exit on the camera.
The use of the rubber well nuts means no concerns about steel screws into aluminium bodywork.

Pictures show close-up of camera from "below" and from directly "behind" at numberplate level. Surround yet to be cut and refitted; maybe tomorrow after testing alignment and a bit of weatherproofing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Firstfix.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	14534   Click image for larger version

Name:	NoSurround.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	14535  
Old 11th October 2016, 03:55 PM

Just a minor bit of trickery I forgot to mention.
The camera has identical wiring (but a different camera body) to that described in great detail by Steamship (Sean) in his thread, as pictured here:

You can see the thin cable I referred to and the junction "blob" too. The plugs/sockets (red and yellow) on the end of the camera cable are quite bulky so I trimmed them down with a Stanley knife so they fitted through a slightly smaller (10mm?) hole. Not least because I couldn't easily find anything bigger than a 10mm drill.
Old 12th October 2016, 12:02 PM

Angle of view from the "first fit" is looking good. Need to crack on with weatherproofing and trimming/refitting the surround.
The rubber diaphragm I intend to use behind the camera for weatherproofing is about 2.5mm thick so will allow for some fine adjustment.

Edit: diaphragm fitted, view just as good and minor adjustment possible by slackening screws. Also wired 12v supply into (N/S) reversing light - for reference brown is earth, blue/red +12v.
Tested fine, camera fires up and syncs within a second of selecting reverse. Now I need to start on the internal wiring to get the signal to the RNS-D.
But first, the surround, though it's just started raining here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FirstFit.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	14537  

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th October 2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12th October 2016, 02:44 PM

Been busy with the dremel; this is the final fit on the rear, though I may take it all off some time to clean up and improve sealing.
I half expected the lens to be slightly blocked by the plastic surround, but it's just clear - so no external trimming required, though I would probably have remounted the camera on thicker backing to avoid that.

Pictures of camera view, rear of car (spot the camera and admire LED reversing lights) and finally a close-up of camera from level behind (still see if you can spot it!).
Pretty pleased so far, "just" internal wiring to do now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FinalView.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	14538   Click image for larger version

Name:	FinalRear.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	14539   Click image for larger version

Name:	FinalCloseUp.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	14540  

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th October 2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12th October 2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Been busy with the dremel; this is the final fit on the rear, though I may take it all off some time to clean up and improve sealing.
It will have to come off at some stage, the hole I "dremelled" isn't quite ideal. I tried to make a cutout to be an exact fit to the camera but ended up having to keep adjusting it.
The end result is now actually almost a 30mm by 50mm rectangle and is still a bit tight in places and ragged in others so I'm going to rectify that at some point and enlarge it slightly.
I'm also missing the top-centre fixing of the backing plate so plan to rectify that too; not quite sure how yet.
Old 12th October 2016, 03:45 PM

Looks a neat job HP. Are the lines adjustable?
Old 12th October 2016, 04:28 PM

Not on that camera, other than physically moving it. I've deliberately chosen to keep it low to see the bumper.