A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th January 2016, 03:11 PM

And i've bought it....made an offer, got turned down, walked away and 10 minutes later got a call and they accepted. Not at all sure about the dealers, but I have an A8 to play with!!!

Now how to figure out what to do with the stereo, what maps are on the sat nav and what I can do to get some reasonable sources of music into the system. I don't think the Phatbox hard drive works with this system by any chance....Or am I on the look out for bluetooth / Ipod ???

Lee
Old 14th January 2016, 05:26 PM

Congrats on the purchase.

For the D3 audio, you are pretty much stuck as far as the system itself goes. The whole thing uses a fibre optic databus, BT Audio is not supported in any shape or form. Same with speakers really as well, and the phatbox is definitely not supported.

I bought the AMI retrofit kit from ebay, and fitted that. Using AMI you can connect USB powered HDDs, Ipods, USB sticks etc. I have a 500GB drive plugged in all the time, and its been faultless.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 15th January 2016, 11:03 AM

Hi There,

That AMI sounds reasonably useful. I've a 6 disc CD changer in the glove compartment at the moment. Has a TV button if that helps ID it?

Lee
Old 15th January 2016, 07:32 PM

AMI sits next to, or in place of the CD Changer. The TV button is on all models, even those without a TV tuner.

You can find out if you have TV by pressing the button over and over again, if you have TV it will go CD, TV, Ext. AV1, Ext. AV2 and back to CD.

As I have AMI, mine goes CD, Media Interface, TV, Ext.AV1, Ext.AV2.

If you only have CD then button just selects CD.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 18th January 2016, 10:25 AM

I have TV....Kind of!!!

The input is there, but it's a load of grey speckles. Guessing that it is analogue rather than digital and as such a little useless. Still stops me watching when I start moving though

Lee
Old 18th January 2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
I have TV....Kind of!!!

The input is there, but it's a load of grey speckles. Guessing that it is analogue rather than digital and as such a little useless. Still stops me watching when I start moving though

Lee
Yep, that's correct. Enabling video in motion is easy enough (through VCDS) but fitting digital TV is a little more tricky.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 18th January 2016, 03:36 PM

But, having the analogue TV Tuner means that you cam add the two Aux Inputs and the the Aux Output.
I did that until I could afford a digital TV Tuner.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 28th January 2016, 04:59 PM

Whoop.....Just switched the read out of the hvac to show driver when you use the drivers dial and passenger when you use the passenger.....Though oddly the dials controlled the drivers on the drivers side and it was just a display tag

http://mr-fix.info/audi-mmi-2g-hidde...u-description/

Hidden Green Menu - Car Menus Maske

Linkslenker – Left Hand Drive car. Module 07 adaptation, channel 2, +1.

That was set to on....Turning off and the names are displayed correctly. No idea what other fuctions it did.....Am guessing that someone used it in the hope of switching the lights pattern ???
Old 28th January 2016, 08:13 PM

Actually switching from analogue to digital is a easy as changing the receiver in the boot - its just the cost thats a barrier.
The other benefit of the TV is that you can also fit a reversing camera

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain