A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > House and Home DIY

House and Home DIY Everything at home. Building, Renovating, DIY, green initiatives, mowing the lawn. Anything goes

Old 20th January 2014, 11:30 AM

So jealous of your latest purchases - well done sir

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 20th January 2014, 12:25 PM

Very nice... Definitely need to get something better for storing my tools in, and the ever growing collection of bike-related gubbins

I know.. I know..

Old 21st January 2014, 08:12 AM

You're right, John ... I am suffering from toolbox envy. But the problem is I don't keep an eye out for the stuff on ebay.
Old 21st January 2014, 11:15 AM

There aren't any Snap On box bargains on ebay, I know as I watch them all the time. This one was offered to a forum member on another forum and was also advertised on Gumtree at £70, so when the other forum member said no I made a cheeky offer expecting to be knocked back, but my £40 was accepted and the box was local, so win win for me

The Mac box was in Falkirk and advertised on ebay at a reasonable price (but too expensive for me) with an 'Offer' button. I had it on my watch list just to see if it sold, on Saturday I was working in Ayrshire when an email from ebay came in saying the vendor had dropped the price and it was now £100 less than the original advert. I checked the advert and the vendor was saying he didn't need the box as the company he was working for closed the doors, this got me thinking of someone needing the mortgage money after Christmas spending, the 'Offer' button was still there and I was going to send an offer of £100 less than his reduced price but then I though why not just send an absolutely rock bottom price and tell him I will collect next day and pay cash... My thinking was we would eventually end up somewhere between the two sums of money and I would have been happy with the price so I offered £350 less than he was asking and he came back immediately and said yes... I couldn't believe the outcome and first thing Sunday Morning I collected it before he changed his mind.

Cash is king, especially just after Christmas

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 14th April 2014, 12:18 AM

I have no idea where you live but do you want to sell your garage/house

Old 14th April 2014, 03:02 PM

We got space to build a garage at the bottom of the garden and still have nice size usable garden.

I was aiming for a 10x10 metre garage but looking at the size of yours I might tone it down and use yours for the template of ours when I get round to it.

I really enjoyed reading this build.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 15th May 2014, 06:58 PM

I would say if you have the space for a 10x10 then build it, if you don't you'll regret it sooner rather than later. Amazing how I thought I had plenty space but it just seems to be filling up and I'm wishing I had built bigger now

Old 15th May 2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
We got space to build a garage at the bottom of the garden and still have nice size usable garden.

I was aiming for a 10x10 metre garage
Same here as our garden is quite long and has side (and negotiably, end) access. Except that:
1. We already have a smaller garage there that the S8 just won't quite fit in.
2. The main obvious (adjacent) space to build on is SWMBO's vegetable patch
3. SWMBO has a long-term plan to build our "retirement bungalow" on that area and sell the main house less part of the garden (which would buy several brand new S8's )
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 15th May 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 16th May 2014, 08:48 AM

SWMBO only complaint of a big garage is she would lose her berry bushes and lose her grass.
I told her we can get that drive on stuff that the grass grows through, so she keeps her grass and the bushes can be moved.

I know what you're saying about space in the garage.
The little garage next to the house is about 7ft by 14ft and its full up.
I have no idea how cause I came from a 2 bed house with no garage.

I think a 10x7 would be a better option, we keep more of the garden and it give me a little parking area out front without annoying SWMBO to much.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 30th August 2015, 11:19 PM

Spent the past few days detailing the Range Rover and it's looking fantastic for a 13 year old 131K miles British built vehicle

I started by giving the engine bay a quick tidy up

Then made a start on the exterior

which was going well until summer appeared

so it was into the garage to do a bit more

Today I managed to grab a couple of hours after work and finished the detailing and I'm pleased with the final results

New rear number plate on order