A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 24th January 2020, 09:11 AM

I had another silly idea thats probably more trouble than its worth.
I have an old pump somewhere, maybe I could chop out the part that compresses the fluid and leave it as a freely rotating pulley?
But then I have to remove the new pump and fit this franken pump, its gonna be a lot of pointless hassle.
Old 24th January 2020, 09:34 AM

It would work, but you'd have to pull the front end to change the pump, and trying to drive a D2 with no power steering in traffic is not going to be easy. At that point, just get a tow truck

The running the battery flat example I have seen killed its fuel pump as the voltage was dropping, which is about the worst electrical doodad to change in the whole car! I'm sure something else failed as well, but can't remember what.

A flatbed is looking like the best option tbh.
Old 24th January 2020, 10:32 AM

have you got any AA/RAC/breakdown cover - if so use that, as they will tow you to a garage for repair

If not, maybe now is the time to take some cover out
Old 24th January 2020, 01:42 PM

I definitely dont want the fuel pump to fail!
Although I do need to change it soon preventatively. Its still on the original pump.

I have RAC but its the cover where you have to break down away from home to call them out. I didn’t want to pay extra for the home cover as I didnt expect to break down at home
How wrong I was

It already broke down at home a few years ago, clutch failed and stuck. I guess I should have learned my lesson lol!
It seems to inly break down at home on the drive lol!
I can see the advantage of that, but it is annoying.

Last edited by Goran; 24th January 2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 20th February 2020, 01:38 PM

Well I had a good look today from both wheel wells, with a torch and a usb camera too.
The pipes from pump to reservoir to rack are all dry.
The whole rack looks dry along its whole length, as do the pipes on the rack.
The only part I couldn't see properly is the servotronic box and the connection to the steering wheel coupling.
The exhaust below the rack is wet with oil so it must be leaking from somewhere. I was expecting at least some wetting of the rack from so much oil, but I cant see any oil on it at all.
Its a mystery!
I'll have to take it to the local mechanic to diagnose before I order anything.

By the way, I rang Audi, they no longer have any LHD racks, so it has to be a re-manufactured unit. I don't know if its the same case for RHD racks.
Old 23rd February 2020, 06:57 PM

I charged up the battery, only got 7Ah into it which is a bit worrying, considering the voltage before I charged it was 13.18V which should be around 50% capacity.

I removed the aux belt, and started the car with battery only. The idling current draw was 25A. I got my mum to keep the revs just above 2000rpm and the current was still steady at 25A, measured with a good clamp meter at the negative cable.

I hope its not going to draw more when actually moving?
I was expecting it to draw more as rpm increases but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Its a 20 minute, 5.6 mile drive to the mechanic. Looks like I could make it.
Even if the capacity is only 14Ah, that should give me just over 30mins in theory.

Tomorrow is the day of reckoning
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:04 PM

Good luck!

Make sure the AC is in econ mode (or just turned off) - that'll keep the compressor from engaging while stationary and also stop the rad fan coming on.
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:22 PM

Thanks Mikki! I was hoping you would read this post.
Do you think there is any reason for the car to draw more amps when actually moving in traffic? That's my main worry which would throw my time estimates off.
Oh yes the damn electric rad fan! Completely forgot about that. Hopefully its cold enough outside so its not triggered by the engine.
Thanks!
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:46 PM

Not in a manual. An auto would have some solenoids active in the valve body, but you are free of that scourge Injector duty cycle may increase, but I doubt that will make much difference.

I doubt the electrical rad fan will even get a look in at this current temperature so if the AC isn't telling it to run it shouldn't come on at all. The visco fan should be more than enough.

Do you still have SAI on yours? That blower uses a bunch of amps. Maybe just pull the fuse for that, or possibly warm the engine up while still on the battery charger?

I can't think of anything else.
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:58 PM

Thanks Mikki! That's reassuring. I'll make sure I don't go anywhere near the aircon button.
Luckily I had the SAI blower removed, I had no idea it pulled a lot of amps. What a relief! that could have been a show stopper.