A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 27th September 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I replace the temperature sender whenever I have an engine out, since it's a pretty horrid job with the engine in the car and full of coolant. £10 now saves a couple of hours of swearing later down the line when it fails!
Funnily enough I've done that a few times and IIRC it wasn't that difficult provided you take a few precautions, including:
1. Make sure the engine is stone cold
2. Leave the coolant filler cap on tight so no coolant flows out when you remove the sender
3. Take EXTREME precautions not to lose the retaining clip - I think I used string on a stiff stick tied to it to ensure it didn't get lost
4. Make sure you get a new O-ring and ideally a retaining clip with your new sender.

I think I used the same "string on a stick" to manipulate the retaining clip back in on refitting and also may have released the coolant cap slightly as I pushed the new sender in so there was no back pressure. It might need a gentle tap to get it seated down properly. You'll know if it's not down far enough as the clip won't go in.

I also noted MJs earlier comment
Quote:
someone has treated the cowl drains to a rather unusual modification. Ironically, the bottom of the drain isn't actually the problem here - the leaves and detritus collect in the top of it, not the bottom.
and can confirm that certainly in my case it's exactly that, the debris builds up above the relatively small holes that lead down into those drains. Over the years I've found disturbing and syphoning assisted with hot water and detergent generally gets it flushed through.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 28th September 2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 29th September 2020, 06:43 AM
Banned

Hey Mikki what's your fix for the battery junction? Do you just replace it with the same part?
Old 29th September 2020, 10:02 AM

Yeah surprisingly that is still available - 4D0971828, 7 left in the UK for about £10.

When they run out I'll probably start printing them in nylon, but no need at the moment as I have a box of them.
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:25 PM

A bit quiet this week as I've been waiting for parts and working on another engine. Mike came over on Thursday and gave me a hand with the cam chain tensioners, and I completely forgot to take any pictures, but thats well documented elsewhere anyway.

However, dismantling a 130K engine with still-working tensioners has proved instructive. Both gauze filters in this one were still intact, as expected since the tensioners still worked:

Removing one of the tensioners I think I found not only the reason for the gauze filter in the first place, but also the reason for the filter failure and subsequent tensioner failure - carbon build-up from inside the oil galleries. I didn't get a pic, but underneath the gauze there were tiny chunks of the carbon found in the sump, cam covers etc. As the tensioners have rubber o-rings in them, I think Audi put these filters in to protect them from this carbon, whereas camshafts, crank bearings etc, being metal, wouldn't be affected. The problem though, is that the carbon will eventually accumulate behind this non-replaceable filter which then gets clogged and oil pressure just punches through it. The broken filter material then gets pushed through the tensioner and destroys it.

On balance, I'll take my chances putting the carbon through the tensioner rather than stainless steel mesh, and change the oil more often.

The tensioner pads were in remarkably good condition considering the mileage, but of course I replaced them since everything was in bits

An upside-down engine is oddly satisfying

Its considerably easier to replace the sump like this

Another bonus of having the engine on the stand is that I can take the inlet manifold off with it upside down, thus ensuring none of this detritus falls down the inlet ports:

I have no idea why these engines collect so much grit in this area

Grit removed, sump re-sealed, and back the right way up again. The usual sand and oil mess in here

Better

Hopefully the engine will be complete tomorrow and I can get the gearbox service done on Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24059   Click image for larger version

Name:	068.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	24060   Click image for larger version

Name:	069.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	24061   Click image for larger version

Name:	070.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	24062   Click image for larger version

Name:	071.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	24063   Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	24064   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	24065   Click image for larger version

Name:	074.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	24066  
Old 3rd October 2020, 11:33 AM

Wow this is just amazing
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:14 PM

I'll be running out of superlatives before long; I love this sort of real world documentation on our beloved D2s. Fascinating stuff. Cheers to all.
Old 3rd October 2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
I'll be running out of superlatives before long; I love this sort of real world documentation on our beloved D2s. Fascinating stuff. Cheers to all.
Agreed - like our own private (but much better!) online version of Wheeler Dealers .

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 3rd October 2020, 09:14 PM

Inlet manifold back on

Oil cooler back on with an aluminium link pipe and new pressure sensor

Water pipe and various bits back on the rear

Ready for the the timing belt to go back on

Water pump mounting surface cleaned up

I took the slightly unusual step of chasing out the threads with a tap, since the last water pump was stuck on with lots o silicone which had made its way in to the bolt holes, so that needed cleaning up and removing otherwise it could hydrolock the new bolts

Water pump on with new bolts

New belt kit on

When we got it fired up originally, it was making a lot of noise from the hydro fan, which I thought was the coupling causing the fan to run at full speed, but when I took it off the coupling was fine. It turned out the noise was actually the fan bearing itself which is very loud and grumbly. Luckily I now have a sensibly priced solution to this

The fan mounting hub is bolted in to the bearing

Pull the bearing off the hub

Hub with the bearing removed

Press the hub in to the new bearing

Bolt back in and it runs nice and smooth again

Back on the engine

That concludes all the engine work for which it needs to be on the stand so its back on the separating machine. I still need to reattach the coolant hoses, spark plugs & coil packs, ancilliaries, and then fit the replacement wiring harness but that'll happen when its reattached to the gearbox.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	075.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	24067   Click image for larger version

Name:	076.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	24068   Click image for larger version

Name:	077.jpg
Views:	571