A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 21st April 2020, 09:42 PM

Default Volvo with Launch Control...

I don't know yet if it's true, but I was told today that my little Volvo V40 has launch control.
It's 4 years old and I never knew! Just need to verify if it's true, at least the roads are quiet.

Apparently you just put it in Sport mode, left foot hard on the brake, floor the loud pedal and wait for the revs to settle at 2500rpm then lift your left foot.

Given it's got 4WD and well over 250bhp (after the Polestar upgrade which optimises mid-range torque) in what is effectively a Ford Focus body that might be "interesting"...…
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I don't know yet if it's true, but I was told today that my little Volvo V40 has launch control.
It's 4 years old and I never knew! Just need to verify if it's true, at least the roads are quiet.

Apparently you just put it in Sport mode, left foot hard on the brake, floor the loud pedal and wait for the revs to settle at 2500rpm then lift your left foot.

Given it's got 4WD and well over 250bhp (after the Polestar upgrade which optimises mid-range torque) in what is effectively a Ford Focus body that might be "interesting"...…
How long is your driveway?
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:34 AM

Our S5 has it, but it's never been used. feels far too much like drivetrain abuse to attempt it! I'm sure it's mainly there to deliver the quoted 0-60mph times in the brochure, with little regard to mechanical sympathy

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd April 2020, 07:39 PM

I have actually done it a few times in my D4 and can vouch that it works.
Bit like going over the top on The Big One at Blackpool.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 18th May 2022, 11:15 AM

Well I never tried it in the end and now I maybe never will.

The little Volvo was exhibiting some occasional and weird symptoms. Low coolant (very rarely) and cabin heating not working (intermittently).
It went in for annual service on 17th March and I haven't seen it since!

It's been a long and sorry tale and at one point they said "it's all fixed now we're bringing it back to you". Followed by a call 10 minutes later "It broke down on the way to you with the same problem....".

Anyway we do currently have a brand new Volvo XC40 B5 on loan, though for quite a long while we had nothing!
And the S8 going down to MJs was an added spanner in the works, but that was going to happen whatever!

Finally today, after 2 months messing around and shipping it to a larger branch of the dealership, and with direct involvement of Volvo UK technical they have a diagnosis.

Cylinder 2 liner is leaking, confirmed using a boroscope....... New engine required.

Over to Volvo UK for a response, it has done less than 28,000 miles and has a full Volvo service history.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th May 2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Cylinder 2 liner is leaking, confirmed using a boroscope....... New engine required.

Over to Volvo UK for a response, it has done less than 28,000 miles and has a full Volvo service history.
WOW! That's going to be an interesting topic of conversation, depending on what Volvo UK have to say. Let's hope common sense prevails.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th May 2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
That's going to be an interesting topic of conversation, depending on what Volvo UK have to say.
So far nothing..... the dealer have let me know today that they are still (after over a week) awaiting a response from Volvo UK on costs of a new engine.
Old 26th May 2022, 07:01 PM

That is horrific Andrew. Lets hope Volvo do the decent and put it right for you without charge.
Old 27th May 2022, 01:31 PM

Sadly that's not looking likely. They've made an offer but it's not that good and based on a very high base price. When challenged with some powerful points they wouldn't move.
Old 27th May 2022, 01:37 PM

Sounds like you may have to go legal….

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC